How Often Do You Add Water?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is NOT a steam driven boiler so maybe that is where we are on different pages here. Sorry said:
I am sorry if I implied that you were lying, that was not my intent at all. I am just having a very hard time wrapping my brain around having to vent pressure to atmosphere with out at least a little moister going with it. As I stated in my previous thread mine is manufactured by a mom and pop business in Charles City Iowa. Purchased brand new 4 years ago at an auction for $3000. Just a flip cap on top that will drip that couple of gallons a month. I am not to concerned about it as I have access to as much distilled/soft water that I need. (I run our boiler at the place I work) So 10 to 15 gallons of water added a year is just part of my maintenance schedule. To all of the people that don't have to add like I do hats off to you as there is enough work in burning wood without having to add more. Again sorry for the post and the pictures you posted clearly show you have a top notch unit which would make mine cringe in a side by side comparison.

No big deal, it's just your's is a different system/style than what I'm using. With Central Boilers, if you see steam coming out you'd better be worried as your probably over heating it! Friend of mine had a door pop open when his latch got out of adjustment and he came home to find the temp at 212. Water was gurgling, basically boiling, and steam coming out the vent. He shut the door and opened the garage door and windows in the house to draw the heat off fast. Got lucky as he evidently caught it pretty soon after it cracked open.

Word to the wise for you Central boiler guys. Make sure your door has a good snap when you lock it on the cam. If it just barely snaps, adjust it. I DID have to do mine about 6 years in so it is something to be aware of.

MVC-006S_7.JPG

I am not a stove snob either.

MVC-001S_10.JPG

Dad's homemade stove has been in service for over 40 years. Their soul source of heat and oil furnace hasn't run other than to make sure it still works in 45 years. Imagine the cost savings there!

Good advice Kevin, After 5 or 6 years, I adjusted my cam on the door this fall. Had to add water twice and realized I had a boil over and lost the little vent cap on top of the boiler. Replaced the cap and never had to add water again.

Kevin Wrote:
Word to the wise for you Central boiler guys. Make sure your door has a good snap when you lock it on the cam. If it just barely snaps, adjust it. I DID have to do mine about 6 years in so it is something to be aware of.

Latest posts

Back