How often do you flip your bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to keep track of how the rails and paint are wearing. Try to flip it at least every couple of fresh chains.

If I can remember, every time I put on a new chain. Unless of course, the chain goes dull prematurely due to operator error/hit something unexpected.

Matt

I tend to flip the smaller bars more often and usually when I clean up the sprocket area, or when I have the bar off for whatever reason. I try to use the side with less wear on it to match it up. If both sides are worn or starting to burr I dress them up with a file. I also grease the bar sprockets when I sharpen the chains with a handy grease gun designed for bars.

Hey this thread is not about oil!!!! :monkey:

I always flip mine every time I sharpen my chain unless I hit dirt or something, then I just sharpen and go back to cutting.

I flip it at the end of every day that I go out and cut. I already have it off to clean the saw, so why not?

Whenever I notice it doesn't seem to be cutting straight. I'll flip the bar in the field, and then dress it when I get back for sharpening and cleaning.

i don't use my saws for firewood only, they are work saws also, but i usually flip the bar whenever i put a new chain on, and grind the bar after 2 or 3 chains depending on how bad the bar is

I only flip it if I accidentally put it on upside down. I never make it a point. I don't debur it either. I guess I just don't take the time and think it's needed. I always thought if the chain was still spinning and the saw was still cutting good it was ok. What are you really going to gain out of it. I had a saw cut 750 plus ranks of wood(250 cords) and never made a point to flip the bar. That makes me wonder is it really needed? Here is the way I look at things sometimes. I know some of you are going to think it's goofy. Lets say you make a point to flip the bar once a month. Lets say it take 5 minutes total time. You spent 60minutes that year flipping the bar. How much wood could you have cut in that 60 minutes. I bet enough to pay for a new bar. So why bother? I tease my mom she pays $15 to rotate her tires. She gets about 50k miles out of her tires. That is 8-9 rotations and $135 or so total for the life of the tires. Her tires cost around $60 a piece. So she bought 2 new tires in that time. That's not counting the 8-9 hours of time she will never get back. It would make better sense for her not to rotate her tires. It's the same thing.

Scott

Last edited:
I only flip it if I accidentally put it on upside down. I never make it a point. I don't debur it either. I guess I just don't take the time and think it's needed. I always thought if the chain was still spinning and the saw was still cutting good it was ok. What are you really going to gain out of it. I had a saw cut 750 plus ranks of wood(250 cords) and never made a point to flip the bar. That makes me wonder is it really needed? Here is the way I look at things sometimes. I know some of you are going to think it's goofy. Lets say you make a point to flip the bar once a month. Lets say it take 5 minutes total time. You spent 60minutes that year flipping the bar. How much wood could you have cut in that 60 minutes. I bet enough to pay for a new bar. So why bother? I tease my mom she pays $15 to rotate her tires. She gets about 50k miles out of her tires. That is 8-9 rotations and $135 or so total for the life of the tires. Her tires cost around $60 a piece. So she bought 2 new tires in that time. That's not counting the 8-9 hours of time she will never get back. It would make better sense for her not to rotate her tires. It's the same thing.

Scott

I presume that is facetious but...

Your calculations are whacky. I don't think anyone dismantles a saw just to flip the bar, I know I don't. Flipping the bar over when you have it off to clean the saw adds no time at all. Only adds a few seconds to flip it over when changing the chain (long enough to spin off/on two nuts).

Harry K

Back