How often do you flip your bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually when I notice the saw cutting a little sloppy, but then all the bar needs is a little truing up. Usually on my saws, the guides get a little spread, I seem to have a proclivity for leaning to one side when I saw for some reason; safer stance, I don't know. I don't notice I am doing it, but my bars and chains do.
:cry:

When ever I take it off to clean up the saw.:hmm3grin2orange:

+1. And, like PaPlumber said, watch for uneven bar wear. I usually go over my saws after a full day's cutting and if I have the bar off I'll flip it before installing it. Unless I forget. Or don't feel like it. :cheers:

+3 (or 4, or 5).

In my case that means after a few hours use - or a day....

I know it isn't necessary to do it that often, but it is a good habit, so it isn't forgotten.
Raker file is used as necessary, when wire edges appear.

Whenever I notice it doesn't seem to be cutting straight. I'll flip the bar in the field, and then dress it when I get back for sharpening and cleaning.

Too late, imo!

Last edited:
I presume that is facetious but...

Your calculations are whacky. I don't think anyone dismantles a saw just to flip the bar, I know I don't. Flipping the bar over when you have it off to clean the saw adds no time at all. Only adds a few seconds to flip it over when changing the chain (long enough to spin off/on two nuts).

Harry K

Right!

flip the bar

Every time its been taken off...

+1 Troll!

If you wait till its cutting crooked, or your rails are spread its way too late.
By then you have multiple problems to correct.

Leaving the burrs around the edge is not recommended either! If they get big enough they can break off and get into the bar groove, you get chunks missing off the rails, it all leads to much more wear and tear on other components.
I keep a sack of old abused bars to show to students, bent, thin rails, spread rails, uneven rails, burrs, chunks and worn nose sprockets.

Why let things get this bad when a few seconds to flip it, and couple of minutes to file the burrs will keep EVERYTHING running well for much longer.

Every time its been taken off...

+1 Troll!

If you wait till its cutting crooked, or your rails are spread its way too late.
By then you have multiple problems to correct.

Leaving the burrs around the edge is not recommended either! If they get big enough they can break off and get into the bar groove, you get chunks missing off the rails, it all leads to much more wear and tear on other components.
I keep a sack of old abused bars to show to students, bent, thin rails, spread rails, uneven rails, burrs, chunks and worn nose sprockets.

Why let things get this bad when a few seconds to flip it, and couple of minutes to file the burrs will keep EVERYTHING running well for much longer.

Nice work!

I was too lazy to go into detail.......

Rotate the bar

I normally flip the bar every time I put a fresh chain on, normally every 1-3 tanks depending on the conditions. I lubricate the nose sprocket every time I fill the gas & oil. I like to clean everything up at the end of the day (or two if cutting job take longer) and check the bar for burrs, etc. and touch it up with a file if needed.

I flip mine every day of use, partly because I clean up the saw and bar and etc. each day. Also, over a lot of yr., doing that way showed me that the bar wear evened out so well that's it just the thing to do for me. I used to try to remember when I'd last flipped it, how many hours or tanks or whatever, mark on the bar with a marker, and I'd still sometimes forget. Now I just do it every day, and that's a good excuse to clean out the rail and etc.

Latest posts

Back