How Old is TOO Old?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric E.

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In two of the recent threads there are comments about being too old to climb. What's up with that? What's too old? I've heard the saying "There's bold climbers and there's old climbers but there's no old and bold climbers." For the most part I believe that but I know of at least one exception . Some guys from NJ may have heard of the climber that I'm thinking of.

Not to get off topic but that reminds me of the drunk that went to see the doctor and the doctor said he had to stop drinking or it would kill him.
The drunk only replied ... I`m not so sure about that doc, there are a lot more old drunks than there are old doctors! :D

Somtimes I have to wonder if we maybe should ask "How old is too young to START climbing?" Since some of the youngsters seem to be more set in their ways and know more than us old timers, I'm 48 and have climbed for over 25 years. Just this week a regular on AS said that he "just" went out and bought a helmet...unbelievable!
Others don't want to have anything to do with biners or braided ropes. On one of the woodworking sites that I hang out on they have a forum for those who work wood with hand tools. They call the forum the "Neanderthal Forum" Gets me thinking sometimes.

Tom

I'd have to say that OLD is a state of mind.You only as old as you feel Some mornings I feel old with aches and pains. And I'm 32. :blob2:

As long as you stay active and take good care of your body you should be able to climb well into your sixties safely. But by the time you are that age you should have a crew of your own doing the climbing for you. Then you can just climb for the fun of it. Best exercise I know of.

I took three years off from tree work/climbing and was real surprised how much my body had changed. I am finally getting back into great shape again. I learned my lesson the hard way about staying active and in shape!

Mike,

Walker!? Heck, you should see the "Canopy Climber" that I use :) Pretty tweaked out, if I can say so myself! CArbon fiber frame, titanium bracing and anodized PINK, of course!

I'll find out on Monday if airport security will let it through. It should take me up to the tops of the two hundred fify foot Douglas Firs on Wednesday for the Moonlight Madness climb out on the Olympic Peninsula. We'll have 13 people in the group. Several of us will be spending the night in the tops of the trees enjoying the full moon while most of the rest of the world is on the ground.

Tom

tom,
i was reading up on t.r.e.e.b.u.z.z. about that moonlite maddness climb!!!!!!!
my god that sounds incredible!!!!!!
hope to join you in a few year!!!!
budroe:cool:

It'd probably be easier to just raise the sky hook higher for more lever-age Tom! Then, tie in with a dragon bowline. Well, you can figure the rest from there i'm sure!

P.S. Did ya see the latest pix of JP's trip in "off topic"?

Tom,

You know where I'm headed with this thread.

At the end of last month I climbed with a guy that started doing tree work when he returned home from WW II. He turned 85 in the beginning July. He climbed 3 days a week for a company in NJ until last year. He climbed better than most climbers I've seen.

For the ISA members there will be an article in a future issue of Arborist News.

Latest posts

Back