How old is your stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Skid my BIL has/had one just like yours from same era.He ran it so hard it it was cracking,cant remember details. He liked it so much he took it out and went to fab shop. They copied it for him and used thicker steel.So he still has Jensen I guess.:cheers:

I wonder how many jensens are out there still being used. I only run wood in mine but you can use coal also. United States Stove Company still has some parts for the jensen wood furnace. Jensen goes back to 1921 so I am not sure when USSC took over but it was after 1982.

I wonder how many jensens are out there still being used. I only run wood in mine but you can use coal also. United States Stove Company still has some parts for the jensen wood furnace. Jensen goes back to 1921 so I am not sure when USSC took over but it was after 1982.

Oh bye the way he doesnt have a Steelers penant next to his, Hes got a Cleveland Browns.:poke:

My kitchen stove is a 1909 Glenwood C model. Like Woodbooger, It's going everyday starting round Oct and it heats about 2/3 the house and cooks everything.

Nice... I think I'll be running mine a lot more this year.

attachment.php

Here is ours, I haven't installed it yet but will soon. It's a Pearl Kineo made in 1910. And no comments on the garage I know it's a mess, someday we will be able to park our vehicles in it:)

Image001.jpg

P.S. You guys with the big ole cookstoves........ i always figured the fireboxes on cookstoves were relatively small. Apparently i was wrong??

Yup. Real small firebox. I should take a pic one day to post.

Heat is not nec. commensurate with firebox size - esp. once you get all that iron hot. The drawback of the box size is you need to refuel more often (not a biggie, I just toss in a couple sticks when I'm passing by) and the stove doesn't burn overnight.

Zodiac's stove is virtually identical to mine - I think maybe a few years younger.

got an old suburban that was in the house but i moved it out to the garage for the dogs. Got it from my uncle back in 1977. had to weld a few steel plates on because it was burning through lol. i did put 12-13 cords through it a year though.

Hey Doc, the gurus over at hearth. com are bashing the heck out of your stove. You better go straighten them out!

http://www.**********/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/20977/

I bought my Federal Airtight 288 in 1987. It accepts a 24" log with ease through the side loading door. I intend to burn 5 cords of firewood with it this year, perhaps a couple of more if it really gets cold. I love a cast iron stove, especially one that tips the scales at about 550 lb.

WoodStove2007.jpg

Hey Doc,
Let them laugh. I have been burning with the same stove you have since 1988. Burns clean, chimney needs cleaning about every 5 years (of course I check it every year) heats our whole house.

I don't know what I'll do when it comes time to replace it.

:cheers:

....the gurus over at hearth. com ....

Mostly No-gurus :monkey: for wood heating over there. A few know their stuff such as the WebMaster, but most are diddling around just to do the blog thing. Some good advice from the few experienced burners.:givebeer:
There's plenty of whining about the "way high" wood prices, or is that "fair" to charge $300/cord :cry: with no, none time cutting their own. Another bleating about how "hard work" it is to cut up his log lengths,:cry: and "needs" a 36" bar to do the logs in the driveway.
Don't take the bashes seriously. It can be good place to filter out the experienced from the geeky bloggers for wood stoves, chimneys, and maintenance:popcorn: .

Logbucher, I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately you couldn't see the smirk on my face when I used the term "guru". Plenty of #####ing and moaning about the whole wood burning process over there.

Logbucher, I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately you couldn't see the smirk on my face when I used the term "guru". Plenty of #####ing and moaning about the whole wood burning process over there.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. There are quite a few guys over there that know their stuff and often get very technical. A quick list off the top of my head includes: master of sparks, nofossil, and BrownianHeatingTech. Nofossil especially, that guy has sensors on everything monitoring his boiler system.

I ended up on that site after hearing about gasification boilers. It was because of them that I went with a gasification boiler instead of an outdoor wood burner but that is a debate for another day.

It's a 1980 Citation made by the Salvo Co in Mass somewhere. It has worked great the past 4 years but the firebox is a little small. So I picked up a Jotul Oslo but still need to install it. Shoulda paid to have it installed instead i was cheap and thought I could do it myself. Man that new stove is heavy.

attachment.php

I bought my Federal Airtight 288 in 1987. It accepts a 24" log with ease through the side loading door. I intend to burn 5 cords of firewood with it this year, perhaps a couple of more if it really gets cold. I love a cast iron stove, especially one that tips the scales at about 550 lb.

WoodStove2007.jpg

I grew up with this same stove. I gave it away 2 years ago for a Napolean 1400. I use half the wood, it burns through the night and the chimney belches no smoke.

This pic does remind me of my youth....thanks!

Last edited:
Back