How sad is this??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ended up having to leave a nice tree by the river. Bet that won't be there in the spring! I cut the smaller stuff as we were topping off the truck. About 10" diameter to 20" at the base and no bark. The big stump in one of the pictures is about 40" in diameter and filled up the pickup and trailer in just one tree. Still did some cutting today from that tree. Another picture is the shot of the full load we got. One more shot of the saws. Only needed to refill the 490 once. Otherwise, cut it all with 1/2 tank in the 920, one in the 630, and 1 1/2 tanks in the 490. Used semi-chisel until the end as there was river mud on lots of this stuff. Plus the fact that it was mostly ground cutting.

Thanks for sharing them. Pics mean it really DID happen! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Lots of nice bur oak up that way. I grew up in G.F. and worked/played a lot in NW Minnie, including around your neck of the Two Rivers River.

Thanks for sharing them. Pics mean it really DID happen! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Lots of nice bur oak up that way. I grew up in G.F. and worked/played a lot in NW Minnie, including around your neck of the Two Rivers River.

You know where Northcote is, then? We were cutting just about a mile South of the elevator. I grew up on a farm just East of Donaldson.

Yup, I know those places. I also was a reporter covering NW Minnesota for the G.F. Herald for several years in the 90s, so I got all over that country. Never cut there, but always liked the forest hanging along the rivers as they went out into the prairie, and like the oak savannah country a lot.

Great place to live! :)

Yup, I know those places. I also was a reporter covering NW Minnesota for the G.F. Herald for several years in the 90s, so I got all over that country. Never cut there, but always liked the forest hanging along the rivers as they went out into the prairie, and like the oak savannah country a lot.

Great place to live! :)

So you worked with Pete Berg, then?

Looks like you guys made a good day of it bama....nice to excersise those Jreds and get next years wood at the same time. Good job...

It was a great day out there, Cant! Never cut wood a week from Christmas in a light coat before! Wish I could cut and leave it because there is oodles more out there, but when the flood comes, it tends to move things around.

I think the 61 got jealous. Never even needed it.

Yeah it's been the same around here..mid 40's to mid 50s every day. PB came down last Sat and we ran some saws in some ash and maple on my wood lot...had a blast, cutting in shirtsleeves. A tad cool standing around but very comfortable cutting. The warm weather may be all done here though, lower 30s today spitting snow and windy and supposed to go down to +5, +10 tonight.. suits me fine. I had to stop forwarding wood out cause it was to darn muddy...be happy to have the ground firm up so I can get the rest of my wooding done and out.

Up at 4:30,get the Garn going for the day,feed the pets,do my Bible studying,wait for day light in the woods.Cutting Aspen,Black Ash,Balsam for next years wood.Skid it out,cut into 10' lengths for the wood processor to handle.Balsam is the pits though,too many branchs and we've got lots of it! We had a 30'er last week that took almost a half hour to limb.Hope to get out a cord today.Went out to plug in the skidder this morning and smelled gas! Darn carb was dripping. It hasn't done that in a long time.

642B Bobcat
021 stihl
025 stihl
1/2 scale skidder, shop built

Must see pics of 1/2 scale skidder :fingers-crossed:

Ended up having to leave a nice tree by the river. Bet that won't be there in the spring! I cut the smaller stuff as we were topping off the truck. About 10" diameter to 20" at the base and no bark. The big stump in one of the pictures is about 40" in diameter and filled up the pickup and trailer in just one tree. Still did some cutting today from that tree. Another picture is the shot of the full load we got. One more shot of the saws. Only needed to refill the 490 once. Otherwise, cut it all with 1/2 tank in the 920, one in the 630, and 1 1/2 tanks in the 490. Used semi-chisel until the end as there was river mud on lots of this stuff. Plus the fact that it was mostly ground cutting.

Giving the 'ole chevy a work out , the pic pulling the old Dodge/trailer :msp_tongue: I love it !!! :hmm3grin2orange: Rep for that !!!
Nice frikkin collection of Jonnys too !!!

Yeah it's been the same around here..mid 40's to mid 50s every day. PB came down last Sat and we ran some saws in some ash and maple on my wood lot...had a blast, cutting in shirtsleeves. A tad cool standing around but very comfortable cutting. The warm weather may be all done here though, lower 30s today spitting snow and windy and supposed to go down to +5, +10 tonight.. suits me fine. I had to stop forwarding wood out cause it was to darn muddy...be happy to have the ground firm up so I can get the rest of my wooding done and out.

I'm ready for some snow. The snowmobiles are fueled and ready to go. Usually, we do some trail riding over Christmas break, but I am thinking that this year, we will not be as fortunate. Wish we lived closer together. It would be nice to meet you, Lee, and some of the other Jonsered "nuts". Alas, I think my conversations with you guys will be via. written text. Running a bunch of saws with people that think like I do would be wonderful. No one in my town "gets it".

I'm ready for some snow. The snowmobiles are fueled and ready to go. Usually, we do some trail riding over Christmas break, but I am thinking that this year, we will not be as fortunate. Wish we lived closer together. It would be nice to meet you, Lee, and some of the other Jonsered "nuts". Alas, I think my conversations with you guys will be via. written text. Running a bunch of saws with people that think like I do would be wonderful. No one in my town "gets it".

Yeah I am fortunate ...Lee and I get together 5-6 times a year to talk and run saws. We live about an hour apart. Of course we would never in a million yrs have met if it were not for AS, and I definately "get it" about the nervous laughs from non-saw folks. LOL!! Lee has vast knowledge in the Jonsereds branch. He can usually fill in the spaces when I have questions and I perhaps have a bit more hands on wrenching experience simply due to the age factor and having to be able to fix and repair all manner of things all my life. So we do find a large area of common ground for discussions of things chainsaw and other related topics.....like his BIL!!! LOLOL!!!!

We are down to +10 this AM so I am going to try to get the tractor out of the woods with several loads of cookstove wood....

looks like you guys had a great time!....nice pics. I can't wait till my daughters get older so they can help out. That looks like great quality time with the boys.:smile2:

Pics for the 1/2 scale skidder

Patience my friends,I've got the flue or some thing,so in a couple of days I'll get them posted.

pictures of the skidder

Well I'm over the crud,thank God! The coughing and sneezing are the pits. Well being 70+ and never posted a picture before we'll see how this goes!

Home made skidder

I built this in 96 and still haven't got it painted!In order to do that I want to disassemble it ,clean it well and give it a good paint job. Summer is so darn busy that it always gets put off.But here are the pics. One of the pics is the skidder in the bush with my wife ready to run the winch.

Of course, some of the best wood is ALWAYS on the OTHER side of the river!

I hear that. Lots of wood down on our place this year that I simply cannot get to.

I built this in 96 and still haven't got it painted!In order to do that I want to disassemble it ,clean it well and give it a good paint job. Summer is so darn busy that it always gets put off.But here are the pics. One of the pics is the skidder in the bush with my wife ready to run the winch.

that thing is freaking sweet... good job on that... now... to find the time to paint it.. LOL

Latest posts

Back