How sad is this??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice..the little wood truck is sweet.....and the tractor/skidder is excellent as well. Does it have a winch or do you just back up to the load, hook and go??? I am assuming you used tractor rear ends for the final drive....I have built many homemade tractors over the years for myself and others. I'm not as old as you but I'm right behind ya... I built one in 1978 that is still in use today and lives on a 500 acre wood lot. It was 2 wd and made from an old 2 sp rearend with school bus steering gear/frontend.(very sharp turning) It was powered by a 240 cid ford six with an automatic trans into a 5 sp then to the rearend which was locked in low. It was a lugger...it carried a cord of 4 foot wood on it back which was the way we cut pulp and hardwood back then. It had dual rear wheels with Canadian ring chains on 1400 X 20s, it had seperate wheel brakes run by hand with 2 old Dodge e brake handles and really got around very well for a 2 wd unit. I used to love doing that stuff..never had much money to put into it but made do with what I could find around. Built a few big 4 wd units as well...the best being my own, built on a 5 ton FWD running gear with a 50s 270 GMC six 5sp into the FWD 5 speed that ran 1400 X 20 (Grader tires) as well with Canadian chains all around. It didn't turn like a skidder but on a straight pull it did well. It also had a 25 ton winch and an old railroad stop (end of the line) for a log arch LOL!! LOVe this stuff!! Again both yours look super and show you did some hrs thinkin before workin!!:cheers:

P.S. Ahhh on a reread I see it does have a winch...nice!!!

Last edited:
Shop built skidder

The skidder is made from Farmall F12 rear ends that have an integral 3 speed transmission(gives you many speeds).The power is supplied by a WC Allis with a 4 speed transmission through a 2" wide cog belt rated for 35hp 1 to 1 ratio. Steering is through a orbital steering valve and two 2 1/2" cylinders. Tires are filled ,fronts with chains,all tires have studs.8000#hyd winch with 3/8"cable 150'.
The wood hauler( HORNET ) is made from a 1972 vintage Homlite hydro 16 hp yard tractor. I took the front axel off and made a two way hindge pivot on the back so it is articulated. It steers with two 1"X16"cyls. The steering wheel controls a hyd valve mounted on the side. It's a little twichy until you get the feel.I wanted to use a orbital steering valve on it but there's no good place to put it. I really like it being hydrostatic drive as you can get off and run it by walking along side,sure helps when your neck doesn't bend like it used to when backing up! The box is a old 265 fuel oil tank cut in half.
Your brother in Christ Jerry MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL

F12....that's similar to the F20 setup isn't it?? Very high axel on top of tall final drives??? LOL!! One of my first woods rigs was a lugger too (about 1 1/2 cord 4') It was built by someone else and so very, very crude. It was a 1950 Chevy 2 ton truck frame, cab ( no drivers door) and front end, 235 six four speed into an F 20 transaxel mounted on 60" spiked steel tractor wheels!! It looked like something from Mad Max!!! But in the woods, cutting pulp and spruce saw logs I'd drop the trees right in the road and limb them then drive over the brush, mulching and making the thing just about gear drive to the ground!! It was very strong but that was it's undoing (that and having an impatient 22 yr old owner) I broke two lower rear axels and there were not any more to be found around here.

Last edited:
shop built skidder

The F12 rearends do not have final drives on them so it keeps the ground clearance lower. A couple of things to look out for though is to make sure the gearing is the same in both of them as I have found out there are variations! Another thing is to have the U joint directly in line with the hindge joint. I think when I tear it down to paint it I'm going to replace the u joint with a CV joint to eliminate the loping action. Most of the time I run in 2wd,hard pulls and deep snow it 4wd.
Peace be with you all

awesome job on the wood buggy and skidder,i just wish i could find time to engineer and build something like that!

Back