How scored is too scored?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Tony

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've had a Husqvarna 575xp for about ten years now, and it's been an excellent firewood saw. Got it super cheap off a fella who thought it was one with the bad crank seals. $5 fuel line and it ran great. For the last year or so tough, it hasn't idled worth a darn. WOT it would still rip, but no idle. Bought a carb for it on eBay, and took the cylinder and carb holder body all off in one go for ease of install, and was surprised to see the following, as evidence by the pics: Pretty bad scoring on exhaust side of piston and cylinder, as well as a large scratch on both. Is it remotely likely this thing will idle if I pop it back on with the new carb, or is it time for an aftermarket kit to salvage the thing?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 83
  • image-5.jpg
    image-5.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 82
  • image-4.jpg
    image-4.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
Horrible pic of the jug. The piston pic makes me think you'd have some work to do but my advice on saw cylinders with transfer is always the same. Clean it up and see what you have. Don't assume you can't save an OEM jug and buy a Meteor piston to resurrect it. Of course you'll also have to ascertain why it ran lean in the first place. Doing otherwise will assure another melt down.

Horrible pic of the jug. The piston pic makes me think you'd have some work to do but my advice on saw cylinders with transfer is always the same. Clean it up and see what you have. Don't assume you can't save an OEM jug and buy a Meteor piston to resurrect it. Of course you'll also have to ascertain why it ran lean in the first place. Doing otherwise will assure another melt down.
Sorry, meant to throw that other pic in of the cylinder. Thanks for the reply.

I'll try to get some better pics of the cylinder. What would you guys recommend it gets cleaned up with? Carb cleaner and rags, or does it need be something fairly abrasive?

The jug itself has no appreciable groove/scratch that I can detect with a fingernail, for whatever that is worth. You can just see it in there.

Also, it never occurred to me but were the ignition on these saws limited? It seemed to me when I tried to tune it earlier in the year it would only rev so high, and I think I may have boneheadedly turned it down to lean in an effort to get it to idle/pick up better.

Also, it never occurred to me but were the ignition on these saws limited? It seemed to me when I tried to tune it earlier in the year it would only rev so high, and I think I may have boneheadedly turned it down to lean in an effort to get it to idle/pick up better.
black coil is not limited, blue one is.

Back