How small a bar can be run on a ms 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard brown

Reaction score
So I just acquired a ms 661 with a 36' inch bar which I love.However when felling smaller diameter trees the bar is a bit to much, great for everything else of course saves my back. My question is can I run say a 25' bar or even as low as a 20' bar to make the saw more managable when felling. Unsure if there is such a thing as to much saw for to small a bar. Never dealt with a 91.1cc saw before so unsure about dropping down in bar size. I traded my smaller saws to acquire so that's another reason I ask. Thanks

You can get a 16" for a 661.
If you are able to locate/make one, you could go shorter than a 16", but that becomes unpractical, unless you're racing. Also, a shorter bar will kick back harder/easier... Be careful!

I run 25 most of time. Maybe try a 25 or 28 lightweight bar. I got a 25 Total Lightweight from Nate @Ford150, awesome to deal with but I think not available at present. Stihl lights are nice.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

How short do they make? 16"? 14"?

I've seen 13" in that mount.

Honestly, the 660/661 platform works well with a 20" bar and 8t rim for all sorts of tasks. When I have had running 066s in the past, I've had 20" and 28" and found that to be a good pairing for working in hardwood.

mmm....then I dont know what it is. Ill have to look at the box. Im just a firewood scrounger. When I bought my new 445 I told the guy at the dealer I wanted a 20 b&c for my 576 but I wanted a more aggressive "non-safety" chain for it.

mmm....then I dont know what it is. Ill have to look at the box. Im just a firewood scrounger. When I bought my new 445 I told the guy at the dealer I wanted a 20 b&c for my 576 but I wanted a more aggressive "non-safety" chain for it.
If your doing firewood I would recommend semi chisel vs chisel. If you sharpen your chain with a round file you don't have chisel. Chisel is square grind and takes a flat file to sharpen.

I better pay attention then

Full chisel saw chains

The full chisel chain has square-cornered teeth, splitting wood fibers easily in the cut for fast, efficient cutting in clean softwood. Chisel chains have a high kick-back risk due to missing safety chain elements and are more sensitive against dirt. These chains are available for semi-pro (also called pro-sumer) and professional saws.

Semi-chisel saw chains

The semi-chisel chain has teeth with rounded corners formed by a radius between the top and side plates. While slower than full chisel in softwood, it retains an acceptable cutting sharpness longer, making it the preferred choice for dirtier wood, hard or dry wood, frozen wood or stump work, all of which would rapidly degrade full chisel chain. Variation of the semi-chain is "Chamfer chisel" chains by made by Oregon. They are similar to semi-chisel design but have a small 45 degree chamfer between the plates rather than a radius. Performance is similar to good semi-chisel. Semi chisel chains have a lower kick-back risk. These chains are available for consumer, semi-pro and professional saws.

Low-profile chains

Low-profile chains are chains with low teeth and safety elements between teeth. These chains are used on consumer saws for non-experienced operators. These chains are more insensitive against dirt, but require more frequent sharpening.

Chipper chains

The chipper chain is similar to the semi-chisel chain. The key differences between are the size of the radius at the working corner. In cross-section a chipper tooth looks like a question mark, having a full radius over the whole cutting portion of the tooth, whereas a semi chisel design is more like a number "7" with the top-right corner slightly rounded.

Chisel can be square ground or round ground ,
This info came from one of the leading saw chain makers.
Give the semi chisel a run you may really like the results.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

If your doing firewood I would recommend semi chisel vs chisel. If you sharpen your chain with a round file you don't have chisel. Chisel is square grind and takes a flat file to sharpen.

Sorry, but this isn't right. Saw chain comes in semi-chisel and full-chisel. Full-chisel can be sharpened with a round file or a square file. The cutter is a different shape than semi chisel. Full chisel filed with a round file is still full chisel.

Sorry, but this isn't right. Saw chain comes in semi-chisel and full-chisel. Full-chisel can be sharpened with a round file or a square file. The cutter is a different shape than semi chisel. Full chisel filed with a round file is still full chisel.

I agree and the dealer gave the guy what he asked for. A more aggressive chain.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Back