How small a bar can be run on a ms 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So everyone knows I wasn't trying to say using full chisel as being wrong because lots say it that way if not most. Just was trying too point out the difference between chisel, semi chisel vs round.

So the chain I sent a guy I said "new full chisel chain" and so I sent him wrong chain.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Somebody say my name? :laugh:

Round ground chisel...square ground chisel...there's a difference but they are both chisel cutters. Neither have a radius at the outside edge of the cutter like semi-chisel does...both come to a sharp point regardless of grind.
Round is round chisel is square but I rest my case.

Round is round chisel is square but I rest my case.
From my reading about sharping square chisel w/files there are rectangular looking 6 sided triangular 6 sided, both of which keep cutting corner inside square outer. Another option is goofy file which looks rectangular but has half circle filing surface on each side of flats that rounds the inner corner. IIRC square chisel is 20% faster cutting with square sharping, but only 10% faster goofy file sharpened correctly. Don't recall if oregon site or Madsens site , or another is where I got this before buying a reel of skip chisel and afew of each file type to see what I can do the best with

From my reading about sharping square chisel w/files there are rectangular looking 6 sided triangular 6 sided, both of which keep cutting corner inside square outer. Another option is goofy file which looks rectangular but has half circle filing surface on each side of flats that rounds the inner corner. IIRC square chisel is 20% faster cutting with square sharping, but only 10% faster goofy file sharpened correctly. Don't recall if oregon site or Madsens site , or another is where I got this before buying a reel of skip chisel and afew of each file type to see what I can do the best with
Chisel can be pretty tricky to get right using a hand file. I've seen round ground out cut square chisel because of improper filing. Clean the gullet have some hook and round will really cut up a storm.

I just have square and round chain .

A 28 inch light bar will handle good on that 661 and not weigh it down like that 36 does .
Agreed,
To me a 661 feels lighter with a 24-28" than a 20" a saw feels lighter when it's balanced. To me anyway

Here's a 16" and a 10pin on one,not sure what kind of chain it is after reading this thread.

Agreed,
To me a 661 feels lighter with a 24-28" than a 20" a saw feels lighter when it's balanced. To me anyway
Lot of guys dont realize a balanced saw will feel lighter even if the scale says otherwise,my 440 with a 32 inch light bar wont cramp my back but my 026 with 16 inch bar will just because i am not hunched over so much ,handle bars make a difference also wraps are a little forward on some saws to make up for longer bars.

Lot of guys dont realize a balanced saw will feel lighter even if the scale says otherwise,my 440 with a 32 inch light bar wont cramp my back but my 026 with 16 inch bar will just because i am not hunched over so much ,handle bars make a difference also wraps are a little forward on some saws to make up for longer bars.
A 395 with a 32" feels lighter and more comfortable to run than it is with a 24"
I don't want one handle or nose heavy.
I always figured if you set your saw down it should keep the nose off the ground and if it don't the bar is to long for it.

A 395 with a 32" feels lighter and more comfortable to run than it is with a 24"
I don't want one handle or nose heavy.
I always figured if you set your saw down it should keep the nose off the ground and if it don't the bar is to long for it.
Thank God a few here are back on track.[emoji106]

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back