How small a bar can be run on a ms 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SeMoTony

SeMoTony

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Round is round chisel is square but I rest my case.
From my reading about sharping square chisel w/files there are rectangular looking 6 sided triangular 6 sided, both of which keep cutting corner inside square outer. Another option is goofy file which looks rectangular but has half circle filing surface on each side of flats that rounds the inner corner. IIRC square chisel is 20% faster cutting with square sharping, but only 10% faster goofy file sharpened correctly. Don't recall if oregon site or Madsens site , or another is where I got this before buying a reel of skip chisel and afew of each file type to see what I can do the best with

fwgsaw

fwgsaw

don't call me i will call you!!
From my reading about sharping square chisel w/files there are rectangular looking 6 sided triangular 6 sided, both of which keep cutting corner inside square outer. Another option is goofy file which looks rectangular but has half circle filing surface on each side of flats that rounds the inner corner. IIRC square chisel is 20% faster cutting with square sharping, but only 10% faster goofy file sharpened correctly. Don't recall if oregon site or Madsens site , or another is where I got this before buying a reel of skip chisel and afew of each file type to see what I can do the best with
Chisel can be pretty tricky to get right using a hand file. I've seen round ground out cut square chisel because of improper filing. Clean the gullet have some hook and round will really cut up a storm.

Trx250r180

Trx250r180

Saw polisher
Agreed,
To me a 661 feels lighter with a 24-28" than a 20" a saw feels lighter when it's balanced. To me anyway
Lot of guys dont realize a balanced saw will feel lighter even if the scale says otherwise,my 440 with a 32 inch light bar wont cramp my back but my 026 with 16 inch bar will just because i am not hunched over so much ,handle bars make a difference also wraps are a little forward on some saws to make up for longer bars.

jmssaws

jmssaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Lot of guys dont realize a balanced saw will feel lighter even if the scale says otherwise,my 440 with a 32 inch light bar wont cramp my back but my 026 with 16 inch bar will just because i am not hunched over so much ,handle bars make a difference also wraps are a little forward on some saws to make up for longer bars.
A 395 with a 32" feels lighter and more comfortable to run than it is with a 24"
I don't want one handle or nose heavy.
I always figured if you set your saw down it should keep the nose off the ground and if it don't the bar is to long for it.

axeandwedge

axeandwedge

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
A 395 with a 32" feels lighter and more comfortable to run than it is with a 24"
I don't want one handle or nose heavy.
I always figured if you set your saw down it should keep the nose off the ground and if it don't the bar is to long for it.
Thank God a few here are back on track.[emoji106]

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Latest posts