How small a bar can be run on a ms 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, but this isn't right. Saw chain comes in semi-chisel and full-chisel. Full-chisel can be sharpened with a round file or a square file. The cutter is a different shape than semi chisel. Full chisel filed with a round file is still full chisel.
Well maybe I'm wrong but last I looked I never seen a roll or a box of chain say full chisel. Square chisel full compliment is the correct way to say it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry, but this isn't right. Saw chain comes in semi-chisel and full-chisel. Full-chisel can be sharpened with a round file or a square file. The cutter is a different shape than semi chisel. Full chisel filed with a round file is still full chisel.
Square chisel filed round is no longer chisel it's round. Chisel is like a chisel you hit a hammer with it's a sharp edge and then a straight taper not round. Same goes for a chisel bit.

Chisel chain aka full chisel has a square outside edge. You can have round ground chisel or square ground chisel. It is still chisel.

Semi Chisel is only ground with a round grinder/file.
I get what your saying but technically there's no such thing as round full chisel because nobody makes that chain. It's custom per say.

I just have square and round chain .

A 28 inch light bar will handle good on that 661 and not weigh it down like that 36 does .

I get what your saying but technically there's no such thing as round full chisel because nobody makes that chain. It's custom per say.
Not sure if I am totally understanding where you are coming from. Round ground full chisel is the standard way chisel comes. Stihl and Oregon offer square ground chisel for a few pitch/gauge combinations.

Not sure if I am totally understanding where you are coming from. Round ground full chisel is the standard way chisel comes. Stihl and Oregon offer square ground chisel for a few pitch/gauge combinations.
To me you can't have chisel with a round grind. If it's round where's the chisel?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you say so, okay, you're wrong. Here's a link from Madsen's that will show you what we're talking about.

http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_pro_chain.htm

In the chart you'll see that there's a lot of options for chain. Different pitches, gauges, cutter type (semi-chisel vs full chisel) cutter grind(full chisel chains can be ground round or square), amount of cutters, etc.

Square ground chain is cool. It's faster cutting than the same chain ground round, but it's much more difficult to sharpen. Basically impossible to do in the field. The grinders that do it are very expensive, and doing it by hand is much more difficult than round grinding. As such, probably upwards of 90% of full chisel chain in use is ground with a round file or done on a grinder that produces a rounded profile.

Learning to make square filed chains is more difficult than regular chain filing, but the benefits can be great. Check out some YouTube videos to see the difference.

If you say so, okay, you're wrong. Here's a link from Madsen's that will show you what we're talking about.

In the chart you'll see that there's a lot of options for chain. Different pitches, gauges, cutter type (semi-chisel vs full chisel) cutter grind(full chisel chains can be ground round or square), amount of cutters, etc.

Square ground chain is cool. It's faster cutting than the same chain ground round, but it's much more difficult to sharpen. Basically impossible to do in the field. The grinders that do it are very expensive, and doing it by hand is much more difficult than round grinding. As such, probably upwards of 90% of full chisel chain in use is ground with a round file or done on a grinder that produces a rounded profile.

Learning to make square filed chains is more difficult than regular chain filing, but the benefits can be great. Check out some YouTube videos to see the difference.
By the posts he made ,i do not think he needs u-tube to tell him how to sharpen a chain .

Ok I'm going to try and explain this a little better but first I need you to have a open mind.
1. A tooth or cutter has two cutting edges on chisel both vertical and horizontal cutting edges come to a point. Both the horizontal edge and the vertical cutting edges are straight no matter the angle. Once you take a round file to the vertical cutting edge it becomes concaved there for it's no longer straight or a chisel cutting edge. The horizontal cutting edge stays straight and still is a chisel cutting edge. Both cutting edges meet at the same point. Semi chisel chain is the same way just a little different design on the tooth and is round file only. Chipper or round ground chain has no point so either the vertical or horizontal cutting edge comes to a point even though the horizontal cutting edge is straight there's no point so it's not chisel. No matter what kind of chain it is if both the vertical and horizontal cutting edges are not straight and don't come to a point it's not chisel.
2. If you go back far enough before semi chisel you will find there's no such thing as full chisel. Full chisel is something people started calling chisel chain because people didn't understand the difference between semi and chisel so they used full chisel to separate the two.
3. YouTube is not a great source to learn about chain there are a select few that have some decent content on there but there's a ton of misleading information.
4. I originally questioned the op about using full chisel chain because some confuse chisel as being full compliment and have no idea that there is square ground chisel chain.
$_3 (22).JPG here is the Oregon chain price guide from like 1960 notice no full chisel just chisel and chipper.

Latest posts

Back