How the heck do you pay the bills, down there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured someone who have a fit over my remark. If should run across a home owner whose project requires the above mentioned equipment I'll send them your way. In all likely hood they would pay you $100/hour ($10 more then you ask for) Having said that. Most the people I work for would prefer not have an army of machines show up at the end of their drive way just to cut down a couple of trees.

Sod Breaker

Do you have insurance or not?

I figured someone who have a fit over my remark. If should run across a home owner whose project requires the above mentioned equipment I'll send them your way. In all likely hood they would pay you $100/hour ($10 more then you ask for) Having said that. Most the people I work for would prefer not have an army of machines show up at the end of their drive way just to cut down a couple of trees.

Sod Breaker

ETA:

I will also say that for a "Hack" which one of us gets more business? I have looked into insurance but then I would raise my rates to compensate and HO would hire the next "Hack."

But the thing that bothers most people including the ones who gave a neg rep point is that I cut into their market above all else. I've seen the same in just about every trade.

Most people get nervous when all you show up with is a pickup truck with the tail pipe held on with Kentucky chrome. Don't get caught without ins it's a big time offense waiver or not. We would be in the higher end of pricing on residential I'm guessing never really compared. And we get jobs over the low ballers left and right. I don't bid any job to be the cheapest but to have enough $$ to do the work safely without trying to rush. Big equipment will get you big jobs. People feel safer? I guess.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?j0ebzq

Most people get nervous when all you show up with is a pickup truck with the tail pipe held on with Kentucky chrome. Don't get caught without ins it's a big time offense waiver or not. We would be in the higher end of pricing on residential I'm guessing never really compared. And we get jobs over the low ballers left and right. I don't bid any job to be the cheapest but to have enough $$ to do the work safely without trying to rush. Big equipment will get you big jobs. People feel safer? I guess.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?j0ebzq

They also get nervous about huge estimates.

To answer the above, most of my jobs don't require insurance becuase the contract with the homeowner is worded in a way that subjects me to a 1040 rather then a 1099. For example my last contract was clearing 2 1/2 miles of new fence line for a farmer and becuase of the large scale of the project and the wording of the contract it would have been tax fraud for him to file a 1099 on me because I was working for him, NOT for myself as an independent contractor.
I have always been an employee of the homeowner when ever I have worked a job and there fore don't need my own policy.

Sod Breaker

Last edited:

Sod Breaker

Might change my name to tree-poet.
I got to find a word a word that rhyme's with 'Idoit',
Jeff

Last edited:
I figured someone who have a fit over my remark. If should run across a home owner whose project requires the above mentioned equipment I'll send them your way. In all likely hood they would pay you $100/hour ($10 more then you ask for) Having said that. Most the people I work for would prefer not have an army of machines show up at the end of their drive way(on their dime) just to cut down a couple of trees.

Sod Breaker

ETA:

I will also say that for a "Hack" which one of us gets more business? I have looked into insurance but then I would raise my rates to compensate and HO would hire the next "Hack."

But the thing that bothers most people including the ones who gave a neg rep point is that I cut into their market above all else. I've seen the same in just about every trade.

You are not and will never be a a cut into my market. There are plenty of You out there and that is fine for some folks, but those who want quality work done on their property will hire me or one of my true competitors to insure a proper job is done on schedule with no problems.
Any bozo can climb a ladder and "Break sod". Those of us who are professionals and carry the right certs and Ins will always make money, and piles more than you folk.

Then why are you taking such offense becuase of me?

ETA: If I don't cut into your market then why does it matter? Because quite frankly I agree with you. You deal with the jobs for rich homeowners and probably local govt. (Just a guess on the last one). I work for the farmers and small home owners who want some work done and don't have an infinite amount of money to spend on the project.

But I don't think it's that simple.

Last edited:
You agree, I agree, I do not care about you or your type. I am a fully insured tree care company and you, as it sounds, are not. You are of no importance or threat to me. Your $20,000/yr is my $whatever you think you think it is/yr. More power to ya.

You agree, I agree, I do not care about you or your type. I am a fully insured tree care company and you, as it sounds, are not. You are of no importance or threat to me. Your $20,000/yr is my $whatever you think you think it is/yr. More power to ya.

You did not answer my question.

They also get nervous about huge estimates.

To answer the above, most of my jobs don't require insurance becuase the contract with the homeowner is worded in a way that subjects me to a 1040 rather then a 1099. For example my last contract was clearing 2 1/2 miles of new fence line for a farmer and becuase of the large scale of the project and the wording of the contract it would have been tax fraud for him to file a 1099 on me because I was working for him, NOT for myself as an independent contractor.
I have always been an employee of the homeowner when ever I have worked a job and there fore don't need my own policy.

Sod Breaker

You are probably a bigger hack at interpreting law than you are at doing tree work. Don't invite the IRS to check your contract out, 'cause it won't hold water.

Lots of employers try doing the reverse of that scheme, it doesn't work either.

I figured someone who have a fit over my remark. If should run across a home owner whose project requires the above mentioned equipment I'll send them your way. In all likely hood they would pay you $100/hour ($10 more then you ask for) Having said that. Most the people I work for would prefer not have an army of machines show up at the end of their drive way(on their dime) just to cut down a couple of trees.

Sod Breaker

ETA:

there is a difference between a HACK, side jobber and an uninsured tree service... a hack works for peanuts has no equipment and most cases should not be allowed to touch a chainsaw , an "uninsured tree service" charges normal rates, has equipment, and would be a legit co. as soon as they bought a policy(or close). a side jobber does a few jobs here and there for full or darn near full price, at least half not 12/hr or whatever you charge. may have some equipment and has the knowledge to do the work may or may not have insurance. you in my book are a hack

I've cut trees for less then a hundo before too they were also very small trees that I cut while I was doing the estimate.

So, I'll just say this, if you put a sign out front, cats for free, you'll never get rid of them. If you charge $20/cat, you'll never have enough.

Basically, if you charge for your target market, you'll get your target market. Anyone been in the game for more than a decade care to correct me, I'm open to new ideas. Always willing to learn.

Anyway. I'm not sure he's actually competing with anyone. Lol maybe himself?

Jeff, the pretty one...

You are probably a bigger hack at interpreting law than you are at doing tree work. Don't invite the IRS to check your contract out, 'cause it won't hold water.

O it's definitely not legal. If it was 90% of the people on here are spending way to much money on ins and comp. if something happens lawyers tear right through home written contracts. You risk your personal assets and if you have a family their well being. But it's your choice.

If I was doing what he was I wouldn't be posting about it on the Internet while stirring up these guys steam pot.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?hqmain

Last edited:

Sod Breaker

ETA:

Honestly I doubt you could beat my prices on the small jobs too. Unless it is just pruning small trees..... then I could really give a damn if you are uninsured. But if you are cutting down trees at peoples houses it is more efficient with equipment and you need insurance. In town my minimum is $75, you doing less than that a day? How do you make a living?

Then why are you taking such offense becuase of me?

ETA: If I don't cut into your market then why does it matter? Because quite frankly I agree with you. You deal with the jobs for rich homeowners and probably local govt. (Just a guess on the last one). I work for the farmers and small home owners who want some work done and don't have an infinite amount of money to spend on the project.

But I don't think it's that simple.

We just did a land clearing job. It took three days and I did it at fifty a man hour. We had just a chipper and a skid steer on site..... got a lot of work done cheap. I still highly doubt you could have done the same thing for cheaper.

Are you bringing no equipment with you?

We just did a land clearing job. It took three days and I did it at fifty a man hour. We had just a chipper and a skid steer on site..... got a lot of work done cheap. I still highly doubt you could have done the same thing for cheaper.

Are you bringing no equipment with you?

depends who I work for sometimes sometimes not.

Seems funny everbody getting worked up over a guy who is supposedly not cutting into their profits. I wonder.....

You did not answer my question.

Ok let me rephrase it. I am not offended by your uninsured work habits or your work ethics. You will never be a threat to me even if I packed all my gear up and moved to your neighborhood. We would probably drink beers together at the same bar and I would be happy to pass on the work I do not care to do for those who do not appreciate 24 yrs experience . As I have always said to any customer, "Price is only a consideration if value is not "

Really that's kind of funny because they have for the last two years. And my Tax preparer and company etc.,. Kind of funny your making remarks about a contract you've never seen. I've got a truck I'll sell you. I'd PM you a pic but you've already seen it through the same crystal ball that you looked at my labor contract through.... My point exactly...

Sod Breaker

We are worked up cuz you aren't carrying insurance. You are a cheap ass. You can't afford eight hundred dollars a year to cover your customers from any mishaps. If you are not doing tree work near houses or anything of value and you get someone to sign off on it fine..... but what are you doing on an Arborist forum?

depends who I work for sometimes sometimes not.

Seems funny everbody getting worked up over a guy who is supposedly not cutting into their profits. I wonder.....

Try and keep up, I'll go slow. You say your customers won't pay the added cost you would charge for ins. all of our customers do pay the added cost. Thus, distinctly separating our two customer pools. According to your own logic, you are not competing. Assume your assumption that your customers won't pay the added cost is wrong. Now, our customer pools are the same, now, you're only cheating yourself by not charging what the market will bear. So even still, in the end, you're wrong.

Oh, and who ever said $800 for insurance, you're nuts, my liability was like $925 for 2mill. Haha. Close enough though. Lol

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back