How to become a climber?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

361kid

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post in this forum and I thought I'd ask a question that I've had for a while. How do you become a climber. I'd like to do something I enjoy while paying off college loans. Well, to start off, are there any classes that you can take? I assume you need a license and in order to get that license you must take a class, or am I wrong? Is it something that you must learn from another climber or is there a specified course? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Look at the advice given in my thread about becoming a climber in this forum, plenty of excellant advice from those who have learned it there.

361kid,

As far as classes you don't need to look much further than your back yard. The Kent Geauga campus has classes for arboriculture which, I believe, include climbing classes.

I would strongly recommend hooking up with some veteran climbers to learn the basics, even over taking classes. Nothing beats experience when it comes to getting the hand of working in trees. Make sure that the veterans in question prune without using spikes though. There are quite a few in your area that (and I am not pointing fingers, some of them just don't know any better) use spikes exclusively which is something you will want to avoid when climbing trees that are meant to live.

In the Cleveland area, we have a group of climbers that meet somewhat sporadically to discuss and use the latest techniques as well as do some training for the less experienced. Send me a pm if you are interested in this, we would be glad to get you started along the right path.

rich

Check out local landscaping companies that also do arbor care. Some are willing to train and give hands-on experience and in the warmer weather, always have openings.

The Kent State Salem campus has classes also. Chris Carlson is a very dynamic instructor. I followed him here in Bottineau and have met him on several occasions. Check it out.

Thanks for the help guys. Rich h made me an offer I can't refuse. He's letting me come up to his place and he'll show me the basics. What a great guy! Thanks again Rich.

Back