How to bid a Stumping Job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridgerunner97

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I had an individual ask me to take a look at their property, they had ten to fifteen 40in diameter hardwoods, mixed oak and cherry, snap off, blow down, or was taken down at some point. They just acquired the property and are looking to have them stumped out flush with the ground. I am not looking to grind them for the guy just stump them out for him, i'm not sure what to charge for this kind of job, this is the first one i've done like this. Do you guys think 300-400 bucks is out of line? I don't have to haul the wood, just use the big saws and kill some chains, it's just going to likely be time consuming and normally is hard on equipment, both me and the saws any feedback is appreciated guys since i'm new at this stuff thanks. :rock:

I cut stumps as low as i can but i dont run my saw into the dirt. If the customer wants them lower, then i will grind the stumps for them. I have had a few people that only want them ground down flush with the dirt.

I had an individual ask me to take a look at their property, they had ten to fifteen 40in diameter hardwoods, mixed oak and cherry, snap off, blow down, or was taken down at some point. They just acquired the property and are looking to have them stumped out flush with the ground. I am not looking to grind them for the guy just stump them out for him, i'm not sure what to charge for this kind of job, this is the first one i've done like this. Do you guys think 300-400 bucks is out of line? I don't have to haul the wood, just use the big saws and kill some chains, it's just going to likely be time consuming and normally is hard on equipment, both me and the saws any feedback is appreciated guys since i'm new at this stuff thanks. :rock:

3 to 400 sounds a bit to steep to flush cut....its only 15 cuts, use a long bar...just dont get the chains into dirt, use a wedge so you dont pinch your bar when getting to the end of the cut.

1 to 2 hun. sounds more right, remember, you dont have to haul anything away, just cut-N-run, easy peasy

^ That was my thought originally around 200-300 tops. I've never done a job like this so I wasn't sure how you guys would do something like that. Normally if i'm doing some pruning or a take down I'll charge either hourly or I use a little formula to calculate. I'm not insured and I operate through word of mouth of people I know. I don't do anything out of my comfort zone either to avoid any type of issue what so ever. I'm no rookie when it comes to cutting, i've done clearing work and was a contract saw for a few jobs a guy told me about and got me into on another person's crew and their insurance. I like to cut on the side and just wanted to get an idea what I should charge for something like that to make it worth the wear and tear on me and my equipment. Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it! :cool2:

I would say closer to 300 but I don't think your out of line. 10-15 is a 50% difference so 15 would bring it closer to 400. Stumping is hard on saw and chains. And after all, if they had the kind of money invested in saws that could cut a 40 inch stump with out blowing up they would do it thier self right? Unless it is a fiend or family I would rather charge a little more than charge a little and fry a $900 saw for a 150 dollar job.

I think you will end up hatin yourself after that job truly flush cutting a 40" stump is a pain in the rear and with 15 to do:msp_unsure:

do they want them perfectly flush to the ground? or is a tiny bit above acceptable? is the 40" including the root flare?

I would bid that job high!!! I got better things to do then abuse my gear doin that stuff, like sittin at home in the ac

have you tried selling them on grinding them a few inches below grade?

Jed your right :)

40in includes flare supposedly, gotta go eyeball this job again and make a decision. He is peachy keen on just even with grade. Reason i'm not sure he'll bite on grinding is it would wind up being at least another 200-250 bucks for me to drag the grinder out. I'd have to still cut the stumps down to work em with the smaller Rayco walk behind I have access too. Idk, we'll figure it out, I really appreciate you guys input. It's great to have a place to ask questions like these. :clap:

Jed your right :)

40in includes flare supposedly, gotta go eyeball this job again and make a decision. He is peachy keen on just even with grade. Reason i'm not sure he'll bite on grinding is it would wind up being at least another 200-250 bucks for me to drag the grinder out. I'd have to still cut the stumps down to work em with the smaller Rayco walk behind I have access too. Idk, we'll figure it out, I really appreciate you guys input. It's great to have a place to ask questions like these. :clap:

I think your WAY cheap if you would cut and grind 15 x 40" stump for what $550? Thats 600 linear inches. You would be cutting/grinding for two maybe three days. I would try to get $.50 a inch to cut them to ground level. With a sharp chain and my 395xp that would take me about hour and 15 mins give or take some time because of sharpening after a few stumps. I personally charge $2/inch of the area I have to grind and add 12" on each side to chase roots. But I would rather bid the job high and not get it then go do it cheap and break my $1100 saw or damage my grinder and not be able to repair it because I'm broke. If they have a lot of stumps I'll lower my price down to $1.25/ inch but I wouldn't go less then $.50 inch to cut them off.

He would be better off grinding them....flush cutting hard on equipment and hard on
your body, you would be sharpening after about every 3 stumps, i wouldn't even
want the job, doesn't even make sense to me, just not worth it but then again i'm
an old man.....20.00 min per stump if he insists, i'm glad in the thousands of stumps
i have done i have never ran into situation like that, the tree services i work for cut
them plenty low for me to grind, every once in a while i have to cut one lower but
never flush cut....good luck...

Bob...:cheers:

Went to look at this one, dude was exaggerating a good bit. Idk what his deal was when he told me about this but whatever. He decided he wants 3 out of 5 stumps total cut down about 8-12in and then ground, they are closer to 36" max. I told him $300 he said okay. I think I'm into it okay. We'll see after It's all said and done. I'm a rookie at bidding this stuff, I guess there is only one way to figure it out! LOL :)

Latest posts

Back