How to calculate tree height?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if it is sunny, you can stick a stick into the ground, measure it's height and the length of its shadow. then measure the length of the trees shadow. (work fast in the morning or evening for less error!) then use the ratio of the stick heighth/shadow to figure out the tree height.

ex: if stick is 5 feet tall and stick shadow is 10 feet long. and tree shadow is 80 feet long

then tree height = (5/10) x 80 = 40 feet

thats my 2 cents...

thanks
shawn

The problem with this is if your angle measurment is off you are going to get a bad number. It is going to go south in a hurry. Also using sin and co-sin with degrees the math can get ugly.

I would use the perportion method that habenaro suggested. Less chance for error and easier math.

Actually you use tangent (opposite over adjacent), not sine or cosine. Just remember SOH-CAH-TOA.

At any rate, I agree with what you're saying about using trig for the measurement. Accurate angles and a calculator and you're golden-but just a small error in the angle can get things messed up pretty quick. That's why I suggested the picture and scale solution. Still potential for error but generally a little more user friendly.

the method i use cruising timber is to stand 66 ft away from base and hold up my measuring stick and look at the tree with the stick in your veiw . every 6 inches is 16 ft.

Thank you all

Did the math.......2143 ft, balloon trick 675 ft, spd square...274 ft, asked wife, she looked out the window and said "87 ft dumb a**", cut it down and measured, 87 ft 6 in......missed the truck, hit the road......Lanny

Did the math.......2143 ft, balloon trick 675 ft, spd square...274 ft, asked wife, she looked out the window and said "87 ft dumb a**", cut it down and measured, 87 ft 6 in......missed the truck, hit the road......Lanny

Ha,ha,ha..funny!
I loved the balloon deal! :hmm3grin2orange: Just make sure you take a big huff before you spit out the tree height!

You fellows like to make life complicated with all the math. Foresters use a Biltmore stick. You can buy one from Baileys for $60 or you make one for occasional use.
The stick has markings every 6 inches; you measure off 50 feet from the base of the tree; hold the stick 24 inches from your eye; starting from the bottom of the tree; each 6 inch increment up the tree will give you a 12 foot long log. Add up all the 12' lengths and you have your answer. It is quick and accurate.

You fellows like to make life complicated with all the math. Foresters use a Biltmore stick. You can buy one from Baileys for $60 or you make one for occasional use.
The stick has markings every 6 inches; you measure off 50 feet from the base of the tree; hold the stick 24 inches from your eye; starting from the bottom of the tree; each 6 inch increment up the tree will give you a 12 foot long log. Add up all the 12' lengths and you have your answer. It is quick and accurate.
I can stand back where it's going to hit and tell you exactly how far it will come. I wouldn't bull#### ya!

Take a 1' ruler.

Measure the shadow it's casting.

Measure the shadow the tree is casting.

If the 1' ruler is casting an 18" shadow, that's a 1.5 Shadow : 1 Ruler ratio.

If the tree is casting a 75' shadow at the same time, 75:x = 1.5:1 = Tree is 50' high.

Obviously only works in a relatively open area where you can measure the tree's shadow. Mid-morning or Mid-afternoon when the shadow is decent size but not super long or super short would probably be best.

You can do it by using a little trigonometry (standing a known distance away, find the angle to the top, then calculate the height of the tree), but that's not always the simplest way.
I can see that working, get a compass with an inclinometer in it and stand "x" amount of feet away and point the inclinometer until you reach the top of the tree and record the amount of degree's. Heres an example I drew fro ya.

TREEHEIGHT-1.jpg

I wonder if one of those distance finders for hunters would work, I know they have them now where they will triangulate the yardage. I got to thinking afterwards, If you could get an inclinometer and walk out until you find 45* on it, then you could measure back the dist to the tree and that should be close to the height:confused:

Somebody has too much time on their hands at work!!!!:chainsaw:

Back