How to charge!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How does one basically charge for a job when you are clearing brush or tall grass for someone?My thoughts are as follows.1. You have to charge for the fuel the machine uses during the job,so I guess you need to know how much fuel your machine uses in what 30 minutes use, as a guide.Or is there some place you can look that up. 2.You need to charge for yourself running the machine. 3.do you include what other supplies you would use ie. trimming line,blade sharpening if you use a grass or brush blade.There are lot's of people out there doing this kind of work so if your a one man operation how do you work it?I would not want to gouge people but at the same time, Example charge $50.00 for a job someone charges a $100.00 for.Any info would be helpful
Thanks petesoldsaw

Last edited:
Lawence, fuel use is about 1/2 litre per hour. We try and work on a 1/2 day and a full day rate. For some really small jobs we'll figure an hourly rate, and bill, for example, perhaps for 2 hours work. But you need to figure in not just the cost of equipment and consumable, but also time and fuel costs for travel and make sure whatever rate you charge covers these properly. And you need to make sure your rate is enough to pay you a living wage, and to put money in a pot to replace tools and pay for insurance, and tax and all sorts of stuff.

This is helpful.... http://www.landscapejuice.com/business_advice.html

Latest posts

Back