How to clean a fuel tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatscooking

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 075 on my bench that was brought to me with the guy saying it ran last year he thought. i have never ever smelled any worse gas than this. The fuel line was melted. There was not much fuel in the tank but the bottom has varnish\gum that needs removed. Is there something i can pour in the tank to free stuff up, i have the carb apart and somehow it looks like i can save it. I had to take the old gas and filter outside it smelled up my shop so much.

Hey guys I use lacquer thinner and it will usually do the trick let it sit with the fuel cap off. May take a few times depending on the gunk. Worth a try.
Joe

Could try some Acetone. Used to use it all the time as a cleanser in one manufacturing facility I worked at years ago, and I don't think it would be too harsh to actually damage plastics or lines.

Hey guys I use lacquer thinner and it will usually do the trick let it sit with the fuel cap off. May take a few times depending on the gunk. Worth a try.
Joe

Could try some Acetone. Used to use it all the time as a cleanser in one manufacturing facility I worked at years ago, and I don't think it would be too harsh to actually damage plastics or lines.

The last 2 posts nailed it, I've used both lacquer thinner and acetone (which is nearly the same thing as lacquer thinner) and it cleans the goop very well. I haven't had any issues with the seam sealer on the metal tanks leaking afterward although I don't leave it in for very long time, just a few minutes while I swish it around and scrape stubborn areas with a long, thin screwdriver.:msp_wink:

Get some safety glasses, nitrile gloves and an old cardboard box and a can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner, use the supplied tube to direct the spray in the tank with saw inverted over the box, rinse with fresh mix and you are done. Make sure you are outside or an area with plenty of fresh air.

Get some safety glasses, nitrile gloves and an old cardboard box and a can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner, use the supplied tube to direct the spray in the tank with saw inverted over the box, rinse with fresh mix and you are done. Make sure you are outside or an area with plenty of fresh air.

(1) can of brake clean will do nothing as it will be gone in 15 seconds. It the tank has heavy varnish or gunk then it needs a soaking of a heavy cleaner to slowly eat through the gunk

(1) can of brake clean will do nothing as it will be gone in 15 seconds. It the tank has heavy varnish or gunk then it needs a soaking of a heavy cleaner to slowly eat through the gunk

I do an average of one a week, not always saws but a lot of old equipment. Last one I did was on an old Wisconsin two cylinder irrigation pump Saturday afternoon that sat in an unheated barn for the last ten years. It going to be painted tomorrow and back to the customer on Wednesday. I use Gunk branded brake cleaner and it definitely hangs around more than 15 seconds and cuts thru virtually everything.

I am sorry but this is very POOR advice. :taped: Acetone does indeed melt plastics. In fact its what is used to bind plastics together in a lot of manufacturing including guitar bindings. Please don't use Acetone on anything that may have plastic in it..including carbs that have plastic retainer clips etc... you will have a molten mess on your hands. If you use Acetone on a plastic cased homeowner saw or a plastic tank....eeeeek! :msp_scared:

Thanks for the info, what i want to do is try to get this saw. I know the owner will let things go with it again and i asked him for a price. Seems to be a low hour machine with a 30 inch bar but it is a monster saw.

I would put in Sea Foam or mineral spirits and a bunch of nuts and bolts. Let it sit awhile, then shake it. Let sit some more and shake some more. This should loosen up most of it, you can major remainders with a toothbrush.

I would put in Sea Foam or mineral spirits and a bunch of nuts and bolts. Let it sit awhile, then shake it. Let sit some more and shake some more. This should loosen up most of it, you can major remainders with a toothbrush.

Similarly, I have filled the tank with simple green and threw in a handfull of bb's. Worked for me. I have only had to do this a couple of times though, I don't do outside repair work.

For a very mild case where he saw will run sort of..... Yamaha has a product called "Ring Free" Works a treat. Just mix with the fuel. Used with Sea Foam is even better.

I am sorry but this is very POOR advice. :taped: Acetone does indeed melt plastics. In fact its what is used to bind plastics together in a lot of manufacturing including guitar bindings. Please don't use Acetone on anything that may have plastic in it..including carbs that have plastic retainer clips etc... you will have a molten mess on your hands. If you use Acetone on a plastic cased homeowner saw or a plastic tank....eeeeek! :msp_scared:
I wouldn't say it's poor advice. Acetone may eventually dissolve some plastics, but it would definitely take a while. A quick swish & scrub I highly doubt would harm a plastic tank. Once the remainder is poured out, whatever is left would evaporate almost instantly.

Of course, I would only resort to using it if nothing else worked, but the stuff isn't as bad or as harsh as people may think. We used to wash our hands in pure Acetone, and other than the eventual cracking of the webbing in between our fingers, it worked great:msp_smile:

Latest posts

Back