How to clean cylinders?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FourMoCajuns

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My project 281 xp has 1 scar in the wall. I want to try to salvage the jug so what grit sand paper do I need to crosshatch the wall before dropping in a new piston?

Also looking at the ports on this thing they sure look rough from all of the casting marks in them. Do you guys think using a dremel to polish them up would be beneficial or just a waste of time?

Honing Cylinders...

You can pourchase a sinple bead honing tool that you can use with your electric drill. You will be looking for an approximate cross hatch of 45 degrees on your pattern. I find using mineral sperits on your hone will keep it from caking on the beads. When you start to hone, count to ten while honing and then stop and look at your pattern and to see if you have removed the glaze. What ever you do, don't over do it. My guess is that most ring sets are pre gapped and if you hone too much out of the cylinder your ring end gap will get to wide and then you will reduce cylinder compression. This equates to lower compression and HP.

jerry-

Back