How to convince, coerce, jedi mint trick, blackmail my Echo rep....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockjock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Gentlemen I need to find a strategy to get my Echo rep to come to my shops open house. Each year he is on board and backs out at the last minute when he founds out that Stihl will also be there to demo saws. Last year he was ranting and raving about the 590 and the great price so I went out of my way to get a local bloke to bring up some logs so we could try them out. All was set, logs set and once he found that that Stihl would mark the Ms 290 down to match the price he ran off like trump does at the mouth. This year there is a new rep but she is also starting to get cold feet. We sell some of the Bearcat line chippers and splitters , no saws since none of the professional outfits would be interested. I do think the homeowners would benefit if we were able to get these saws in. Besides I am interested to see them run as I have only ever had condemned units come in to the shop. It would also be a boost for us since there is no one in the area that is an authorized servicing dealer so all of these big box stores echo products that are getting binned could be brought in for repair. So any ideas how I could try and convince her to attend the open house and show off Echos wares?

Call him out so to speak. Let him know your concerns and past experiences. Also portray that when a rep is willing to go to the customers it really shows company customer support and that your customers will have more confidence in the brand. If he isn't willing to support you, your event, and your customers is it really a brand you want to base your families lively hood on?

Quit selling Echo if he is a no show.

I don't give vendors many chances. If I have to basically do their job, they are fired and we go elsewhere.

Funny you should mention reps... on Monday we received a call from the Regional Sales Manager of one of the lines we represent (we are an ag/"rural living"/OPE delearship) inquiring as to the last time we saw our rep.

He had been through once since he was hired last fall. The RSM called back Tuesday and told me he was gone and to direct inquiries through him.

On the other hand an ag related rep was through twice last week, the second time with the VP of Sales. We see him and his competitor every single month.

Funny you should mention reps... one Monday we received a call from the Regional Sales Manager of one of the lines we represent (we are an ag/"rural living"/*** delearship) inquiring as to the last time we saw our rep.

He had been through once since he was hired last fall. The RSM called back Tuesday and told me he was gone and to direct inquiries through him.

On the other hand an ag related rep was through twice last week, the second time with the VP of Sales. We see him and his competitor every single month.

I have only seen this guy 3 times. Now there is a new person that I have to chase after to get some answers. I think Echo is just happy to be at the bottom of the rung in all this. While we do not plan on carrying the complete line we ARE authorized to repair the equipment. Instead of the big box stores stores shrugging their collective shoulders as where to get service Echo should point out there are repair facilities in the area. Do not get me started on the Warranty process.. it just makes your head spin! With Stihl I call in and speak to the tech dept.. in less then 2 mins they say yay or nay as to the repair in most cases.

If I was Echo I'd drop you as a dealer real fast. You give no respect, you get no respect. Steve

I am not sure about what you mean by no respect. I have said nothing that Echo does not already know. I can not make the tree companies, arborists, homeowners buy their wares if they do not support them. You may think it is a fine product, and it may very well be, but when the customer only sees Stihl and Husqvara on the trucks of the tree companies, municipalities, arborists and alike what do you think they are going to buy? What is worse is when these professionals are asked what the homeowner should get they seldom say Echo. For them it is a nonstarter. So I am sorry I have upset you. All I want is for them to show up and get some market share. There is a huge untapped market for their fine, tear 1, high quality, reasonably priced wares that need repairs.

Back