how to deal with poison ivy covered trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdtech

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
since this forum is for newbs to ask pros questions.... what or how do you deal with climbing, trimming or removing trees with poisonous vines growing up them?

since this forum is for newbs to ask pros questions.... what or how do you deal with climbing, trimming or removing trees with poisonous vines growing up them?

I'm not horribly allergic, but I do itch from it.
Long sleeve shirt, gloves, etc. And bring a change of clothes. The oil will get on your clothes and eventually soak/rub in. I will cut and peel as much as possible from the ground. If possible, set your rope away from the trunk so you can bypass the vines as much as possible and limit your exposure. I will also bring pruners up and cut as much as possible with them, the sawdust from vines is really potent.
Once I'm done, I immediately change clothes, bag them to be washed later and wash my arms and face with Zanfel, a product you can get at Walgreens or CVS. It is really effective at removing the oil.
I will also wash and clean every item that was in contact, ropes saddle, saws, etc. The oil can stay on a long time.
Most importantly, charge extra. The homeowner never should have let it get so bad in the first place!

Shots are for after you get it. Basic steroid shot. If the client can wait, cut the vines now and let them die and dry out. You can still get it from handling the dead stuff but it is easier to handle. Long sleeves, gloves etc. Charge for the pain and aggravation. If you want to start to build up a resistance to it, get a bottle of Oral Ivy. 4 drops a day with a cup of water helps reduce the reaction to it.

I think the oatmeal is supposed to be used topically, like a paste for skin problems. I didn't know it helps with poison ivy break outs or not...but definitely can't hurt. It would beat scrubbing it till it bleeds and jumping into a hot bleach bath! :hmm3grin2orange:

I have heard that you can make a tea from poison ivy and drink it...I "think" the theory behind this is it builds some sort of immunity and reduces future break outs. Problem with this theory is that some people get it sooo bad I figure ingesting it as a tea could send you to the hospital...that's my take on it.

As far as the OP's original question...cut the vines at the base and pull them down, if you have large diameter vines... pry them loose from the tree, tie them to a vehicle (4 wheeler or something) and pull them down that way.

Last edited:

Have your bud or pard work on em...:msp_scared:

If you are like me and get it really bad, none of the previous suggestions do much to help. Dead vines can still cause a reaction up to three years. I can't be near the stuff without blowing up and ending up at the doctors office. If you only get it marginally, try what's been suggested.

As has been said, cover up as much as possible. Wash as quickly after exposure as you can. I use techno eXtreme, works the balls for me. Keep one in the truck and one in the shower.

Pay me to come deal with it:D I am not allergic.

Your not alone. It affects me very slightly. Like spend all day cutting them out with a saw, on a hot sweat or balls off day, and get a very minor rash on one arm only....

In some cases its best to sub some jobs out, or even refer to competition.

People who eat a lot of mangos are more tolerant ...

Mangos are in the same family as poison ivy.

Friend of mine who is Filipino told me that.
Don't want to test it as I hate mangos.

People who eat a lot of mangos are more tolerant ...

Mangos are in the same family as poison ivy.

Friend of mine who is Filipino told me that.
Don't want to test it as I hate mangos.

Maybe you never had a ripe one? They are pretty damn good but anyway: Newbies and Poison Ivy- Ha ha.

i grew up in poison oak/ivy country long sleves pants and gloves we also always keep a bottle of bleach with us and would wash up with that if we got into it on our skin as long as you wash up with bleech quick enought we never got it. as a side note i knew a man that had a bunch of it on his silo and cut it with a weed eater and got it in his lungs some how he was in the hospitle for quite a wile

Immunity to poison ivy is not permanent. With repeated exposure your immune system will eventually react. I found out the hard way. Trust me, you do not want to.

Immunity to poison ivy is not permanent. With repeated exposure your immune system will eventually react. I found out the hard way. Trust me, you do not want to.

I already have. that's the reason for my question. the last time I got into it was on the back part of my own property and it was bad. clearing a section that hasn't been touched for a few years didn't see and I guess ran some over with a bush hog. got it on my arms and some on my leg cause I had a hole in my jeans. that's the one and only time I've gotten it and never want it again! even after the steroid shot still took 3-4 days to clear up!:msp_mad:

Back