How to evaluate the health of my maples

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerstroke73L

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have three large (Trunks are 24"-30" diameter at the base, 50'-60' tall) maples on one side of my property and I have some concerns about them. The rearmost tree is sort of misshapen-I'm thinking that at one time maybe the top broke off as it is lopsided compared to the other trees. The middle tree has some large fungi (not really mushrooms, but growths resembling large scales) growing in a 12" diameter area at the base of the tree. The tree nearest the front of the yard has some branches with what looks like some sort of fungus or mossy coating on them. All of these trees are large enough that they could cause quite a bit of damage if all or part of them fell. How can I get the trees evaluated without having a tree company come out to simply tell me "Yep, these look bad-better cut them all down!" I'm not opposed to cutting them down because I don't want them to damage my home or my neighbor's homes, plus I can always use the firewood, but I'd like to save any trees that can be saved by simply getting rid of diseased limbs, etc...if that's possible. Who should I call?

Call a consulting arborist ... fungal fruiting bodies at bases of trees are serious and need to be diagnosed.

Also pictures here would help.

Remember, consulting arborist not some dude that feeds chainsaws and chippers, free advice is usually worth what you pay for it! Pay some-one to visit and diagnose.

Whereas you probably have some very qualified people in your area, you could also start by having a University Ext Service take a look at samples of the fruiting bodies. This service generally is very reasonable. It would also help the consulting arborist to get a positive diagnosis on what type of fungus is present. There are many look-alike fungi and even the pros are sometimes loath to commit themselves without lab testing.

Maples commonly have surface moss/lichen that are harmless, so that may be the case in the one tree.

However, I do also encourage you to get these looked at (if you have not done so already). And, yes, pictures on this site might help narrow down the choices as well.

Sylvia

Latest posts

Back