how to "false crotch" a stalk down.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was a 5/8 line but we usually use 1/2 as well. I add extra wraps to the top piece when it's long and dead and could break, and then wraps to the bottom to manage weight. The more weight you have on the line the more friction is applied and prevents it from sliding down the trunk, As I said before I've only had it slide once and it was under a very heavy load and only slid 5' before it caught on the trunk again. Don't go trying to explain friction though some people are happy believing it's voodoo or zen or the like. I always prefer using nubs but there are trees that you just don't have that option.
If u say so every time one of the assplunge climbers we get tries that **** with nothing backing up his first wrap it ends up on his flip line or kicking his spurs out... Dunno set up just like u did except the rope is running to the ground to the rope man vs 90 degrees to the tree (unless ur rope man is in another tree)

When I was a much
younger man working for my uncle,we would often hang big tops off the trunk with no block. Sort of the way in the pics above. Unc had a full one inch bull rope. When asked how much tree it would hold,his answer was" whatever you got the balls to cut"
Made my ass pucker more than once.
**** 1" double esterlon Is good for like 40k so that's a 4k wll that's a big ass piece I think ida already started crapping myself hauling the rope up lol

Ok though this isn't a good Technic, and really shouldn't never be done with any thing heavy ever. I went into the laboratory and set up a scale model of my semi-pulley-less false crotch. Knowledge is power and you can teach it to people you don't like. Leave or find a small stub. run the line around the trunk,make sure rope going to catch on that little bit of stub,View attachment 358942View attachment 358943
also be sure rope is running under the working lineView attachment 358944see how it is caught on that little stub, and how it goes under the other line. The weight of the chunk will hold it in place, so long as it falls just right. You could conceivably use a 5/8 rope on a stub that size on a really big tree. Like I said good to know, bad to do. I've only done it with 3 strand rope and haven't done it for many years. But I've done it working by my self. you can control the branch from up in the tree letting it run, I would do one , pull up the other end and use it. then climb down and untie them. Some times you got to do what you got to do.
I have nice shiny pulleys now. their sweet with a cow hitch. We all know leaving stubs will always bit you in the ass at some point, on a removal also.

Ahhh, I get it now. Obviously it's the electrical extension cord that makes this method usable.

When I was a much
younger man working for my uncle,we would often hang big tops off the trunk with no block. Sort of the way in the pics above. Unc had a full one inch bull rope. When asked how much tree it would hold,his answer was" whatever you got the balls to cut"
Made my ass pucker more than once.

I was being polite, giving, sarcastic as a mofo when I said ZEN.

Ok though this isn't a good Technic, and really shouldn't never be done with any thing heavy ever. I went into the laboratory and set up a scale model of my semi-pulley-less false crotch. Knowledge is power and you can teach it to people you don't like. Leave or find a small stub. run the line around the trunk,make sure rope going to catch on that little bit of stub,View attachment 358942View attachment 358943
also be sure rope is running under the working lineView attachment 358944see how it is caught on that little stub, and how it goes under the other line. The weight of the chunk will hold it in place, so long as it falls just right. You could conceivably use a 5/8 rope on a stub that size on a really big tree. Like I said good to know, bad to do. I've only done it with 3 strand rope and haven't done it for many years. But I've done it working by my self. you can control the branch from up in the tree letting it run, I would do one , pull up the other end and use it. then climb down and untie them. Some times you got to do what you got to do.
I have nice shiny pulleys now. their sweet with a cow hitch. We all know leaving stubs will always bit you in the ass at some point, on a removal also.

Not exactly like " false crotching" , this is more like natural crotching because the rope does not run over itself , it runs through the crotch.

The method I posted is a crude but doable Technic. I'm not so sure about the other method using the rope to catch its self. When ever two ropes come together like that they can cut or melt throu one another. There has been fatal accidents cause by rope crossing rope friction, and it should be avoided always at all cost. This isn't my opinion, but a known fact. It's not that hard especially using a adjustable sling(woopie) to move a block down after each cut. The starter of this thread should forget this technic, and maybe ask, what's the proper,fastest safest way to block down a spar. This way you'll be learning something that'll help you not hurt you .

The method I posted is a crude but doable Technic. I'm not so sure about the other method using the rope to catch its self. When ever two ropes come together like that they can cut or melt throu one another. There has been fatal accidents cause by rope crossing rope friction, and it should be avoided always at all cost. This isn't my opinion, but a known fact. It's not that hard especially using a adjustable sling(woopie) to move a block down after each cut. The starter of this thread should forget this technic, and maybe ask, what's the proper,fastest safest way to block down a spar. This way you'll be learning something that'll help you not hurt you .

I am not sure its against ANSI but I will never run rope over itself. I won't even use the munter. I am a little angered by people who " false crotch" , they are hacks to me.

Its not Cupar who has separated himself from me but me who has separated myself from him and it was long ago.

It just seems things are being taken for granted. The spiking of prune jobs, free climbing, " false crotching", baseball caps - all seem to be related. Ya know, I can't stand to see it but love to watch it if you know what I mean.

I didnt have the patience to read all the posts so if this has been said already then just nevermind. To me, false crotching a spar down is done by carefully cutting a groove on the back side of the spar for the rope to ride in. then you rig tthe piece to be lowered with a simple half hitch being careful to have the tail end of the rope (going down to the groundie) laying in the proper direction so as not to have the rope lay over its self when the piece being dropped comes over. That would cause what we always called a "crows foot". False crotching like this not fun and kinda dangerous. I may have some extra time tomorrow and maybe I will get spunky and at least set one up and take some pictures. It is easier and safer to use a block. But I may do one just for old times sake tomorrow

This is a false crotch. At least it is in my opinion.
u6uvegaj.jpg
8esu3eru.jpg
6e5e8upe.jpg

If you go to purchase a lowering block just a simple pulley block with the proper weight rating and attach it below your cut. and bring your lowering line up through the block Halfhitch slipknot or some other means of securing it , cu, t push the block over it should fall down and catch through the lowering block as long as you have the bottom of the lower rope secure. Or check you tube 'Blocking down a spar'

Thats old school. Gives you less control and tears up your ropes. Your friend is bs'ing you.
It will burn the crap out of the rope, and I have never done it, but it seems like it would be hard on the ground man as well as the climber not being able to just get the rope back up with a gentle tug. I was thinking a block and lowering rope is about the standard for lowering the parts of a stem, stalk, spar..........

If he had a better way, but refused to tell you he was most likely blowing smoke anyway.
Like when people next door who work in banks, tell you what they would do or how they would do it.

You are all haters.. dude said it works for him.. does it affect you how people rig? Nothing but squares.. yes, I use proper equipment as well as improvised rigging techniques.. reading these replies of name calling and judgment lead me to believe that 1 some of you don't have the sack to rig in a pinch so you justify your insecurities by trash talk or 2 you just can't do it. If it isn't a routine that has been spelled out for you in the past you are incapable of putting together a rig.. Don't be mad at the guy that can use his head when need be or that he can rig with less and that he is a better climber than you. Don't work with the dude. It is quite simple

Latest posts

Back