How to fumugate wood pile or spray?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayh56757

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Some of the wood I have cut has ants or other bugs. Will it be a good idea to fumugate or otherwise exterminate any insects out of the pile? I have insecticide sprays, but I don't think that would get any near the bottom. I stack about 4 feet high. Any products you could recomend?

Here is a recipe to get rid of those carpenter ants

4 ounces of grape jelly

3 tablespoons of canned catfood

1 tablespoon of boric acid

Mix together and place small chunks where ants can find it.

They will take this back to the nest and queen and it will kill the entire colony.

Make sure you keep this away from pets and children

Last edited:
Borax is some good stuff. The additional benefit is you can put to constructive use what ever is left over. My wife uses it in the laundry. Says it's as good as oxyclean - and a lot cheaper.

gas diesel or kerosene works like a charm. every time:spam:

if you use diesel or k1, a match the next morning will take care of every ant, snake, beetle, wood bee, skunk, or anything else hiding in your wood pile.
If you use gas, wait about an hour or so....

If I run into alot of ants, I will use a portable propane torch to just burn out the bugs. But normally I set that wood to the side, and when winter is at its best, the bugs are done and it goes into the furnace.

I bought into the story that dry wood stored off the ground with a cover will not have bugs. That bugs require wet wood.

BS.

You can have plenty of live bugs in a very dry woodstack. I was constantly bringing little dormant beetle looking bugs last season.

I plan to spray the stack with liquid pesticide a few times before winter sets in. I am not concerned about the effects of the pesticide burning in my stove. Does anyone else spray their pile?

I can't use granular poisons as we have 5 chickens that cruise around and the granular stuff looks just like chicken feed.

Some of the wood I have cut has ants or other bugs. Will it be a good idea to fumugate or otherwise exterminate any insects out of the pile? I have insecticide sprays, but I don't think that would get any near the bottom. I stack about 4 feet high. Any products you could recomend?

I use seven dust we get carpenter ants and some other little borers and the seven seems to take care of those anyway. I dont know if its supposed to but it does. hth

Kansas

I use seven dust we get carpenter ants and some other little borers and the seven seems to take care of those anyway. I dont know if its supposed to but it does. hth

Kansas

x2 on the Sevin Dust. I dust all around my wood pile. Stuff works good on carpenter bee's also.

Here is a recipe to get rid of those carpenter ants

4 ounces of grape jelly

3 tablespoons of canned catfood

1 tablespoon of boric acid

Mix together and place small chunks where ants can find it.

They will take this back to the nest and queen and it will kill the entire colony.

Make sure you keep this away from pets and children

does this really work?

Yes, the boric acid is what does it. It dehydrates them.

Boric acid will kill bugs if they crawl through it.

The jelly and catfood is just a way to get them to carry it to the nest.

Walmart in the pharmacy section. Ask for it if you can't find it.

It is a powder.

Borax is almost the same thing

It is poisonous to pets, be careful.

Last edited:
Back