How to get work as a climber?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog

ArboristSite Lurker
Hey all, Im new here, and to the biz. We had a bunch of tree problems on the property to we called a tree guy, I worked as his groundie for the day, and at the end he sent me up in his gear to do some pruning/dead wooding of another tree. I fell in love with it, and I knew its what I wanted to do as a career. I have some basic equipment, and Im working with him to train me some, but how does one get a climbing job without "professional" experience? or get a job at a tree co in general? any help would be appreciated. Im looking daily and applying wherever I can, but some pointers would be helpful. I have no CDL, just landscaping experience.

thanks guys, this is a great field and I really want to be apart of it.

Kermit

Tree Pig

Tree Pig

A.K.A. Stihl-O-Matic
Find a good professional crew that will hire you as a groundy, brush dragger whatever it takes to get in the door. Listen to what they say, do what your told. Let them know your interest and as you prove yourself and the need arises they will start getting you in the tree.

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
Find a good professional crew that will hire you as a groundy, brush dragger whatever it takes to get in the door. Listen to what they say, do what your told. Let them know your interest and as you prove yourself and the need arises they will start getting you in the tree.

Is that how you went about it?

KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog

ArboristSite Lurker
thanks for the info guys. Ive been applying, but most places say they need someone with years of experience even for a ground person. then youve got your good 'ol craigslist people with ads like this:

Profeshunel tree guy needed ASAP must have expeeriance.

I think there might just be a plethera of small companies around here that "do tree work" and arent arborists at all. I just moved into the area so I can't be sure. Back in RI there were a few big names, northeastern, mikes professional, etc. but even for a groundie position here they want 2+ years, a CDL, bucket truck, etc. Not sure if im doing something wrong.

Im going to get an arborist license, and go to climbing school, but its a rough time. (as im sure it is for everyone)

tree MDS
thanks for the info guys. Ive been applying, but most places say they need someone with years of experience even for a ground person. then youve got your good 'ol craigslist people with ads like this:

Profeshunel tree guy needed ASAP must have expeeriance.

I think there might just be a plethera of small companies around here that "do tree work" and arent arborists at all. I just moved into the area so I can't be sure. Back in RI there were a few big names, northeastern, mikes professional, etc. but even for a groundie position here they want 2+ years, a CDL, bucket truck, etc. Not sure if im doing something wrong.

Im going to get an arborist license, and go to climbing school, but its a rough time. (as im sure it is for everyone)

What part of CT are you in?? The CDL would be a big selling feature. I have a moron I drag around for that reason alone.

Edit: And I can't see why anyone would require 2+ years experience for a ground position. I could train a guy to be useful in two weeks or so, providing I had the work and the right variety of jobs. It really isn't rocket science, but it does help if you're not a moron. lol.

Last edited:
Tree Pig

Tree Pig

A.K.A. Stihl-O-Matic
Is that how you went about it?

nope but I had an arborist with 30+ years of experience who was semi retired as a neighbor and learned a lot from him... and educated myself with newer techniques through books and here. But with out the original base it may not as went as well or safe as it did.

How about you Dan... or did you just get stoned one day and wake up in a canopy wondering WTF is going on.

Last edited:
KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog

ArboristSite Lurker
What part of CT are you in?? The CDL would be a big selling feature. I have a moron I drag around for that reason alone.

Edit: And I can't see why anyone would require 2+ years experience for a ground position. I could train a guy to be useful in two weeks or so, providing I had the work and the right variety of jobs. It really isn't rocket science, but it does help if you're not a moron. lol.

see thats where I come into the problem. Ive had plenty of experience doing this work either on my own or for someone else. I worked for Pawtucket, RI DPW driving trucks, mowing, cemetery work, etc. I did everything. I know how to do the job, but they want lots of experience. (all the ones Im seeing anyways) I can see wanting LOTS of knowledge for a climber, dont want a moron up there, but for a ground guy?? Granted, I want to be a climber, but ill settle for anything that gets me in the door. I went to college, ive done everything from scrubbing toilets to security at a pharmaceutical plant. Im sure I can do the job but Im not getting the time of day from these guys. Just aggrivating really. I want to learn and work.

Tree Pig

Tree Pig

A.K.A. Stihl-O-Matic
see thats where I come into the problem. Ive had plenty of experience doing this work either on my own or for someone else. I worked for Pawtucket, RI DPW driving trucks, mowing, cemetery work, etc. I did everything. I know how to do the job, but they want lots of experience. (all the ones Im seeing anyways) I can see wanting LOTS of knowledge for a climber, dont want a moron up there, but for a ground guy?? Granted, I want to be a climber, but ill settle for anything that gets me in the door. I went to college, ive done everything from scrubbing toilets to security at a pharmaceutical plant. Im sure I can do the job but Im not getting the time of day from these guys. Just aggrivating really. I want to learn and work.

Himmm a little out of the way up there.

Tree Pig

Tree Pig

A.K.A. Stihl-O-Matic
agreed. Im seeing jobs out near hartford and in the southern end, hard to do that. My last job was in south kingstown/southern charlestown RI. I had a 3.5-4 hour commute daily. that was nooo good lol My jeep has a 5" lift and 33s, not exactly a great long commute vehicle

Well I have a few jobs coming up if I can work you in you would have to drive to the Hartford area and you wont get rich but as long as your old, slow and fat I can maybe give you a small modicum of knowledge.

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
nope but I had an arborist with 30+ years of experience who was semi retired as a neighbor and learned a lot from him... and educated myself with newer techniques through books and here. But with out the original base it may not as went as well or safe as it did.

How about you Dan... or did you just get stoned one day and wake up in a canopy wondering WTF is going on.

I just looked in the yellow pages under TREE.

KenJax Tree

KenJax Tree

Terraphobic
I started dragging brush for Asplundh, then became a climber and got tired for flirting with death 2 feet away from me, then i got hired where im at now and the owner retired and sold out to me and another guy, it was a long way to the top lol