How to hire a good employee

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NWCS said:
a huge issue i have seen.. never promise a potential employee a comission or percentage if you never intend to carry through with it. will just lead to both sides being unhappy, especially the employee.
an employer has to be able to trust an employee, and even more the employee must be able trust the company or individual to keep things straight and truthful.

That is good advice. Been there done that, wait...I'm still there. until I can afford to open my own whatever business, I am stuck in corporate America.

-Steve

I hired a guy once, reckons he was **** hot .... couldn't read a directory ... he was illiterate, couldn't read a job sheet etc!

I had a guy apply once, reckons he was pretty versatile and worked things out quick. So I gave him a new chain for the 44 and a bar spanner and asked him to fit it, when done ring the bell coz I'm inside.

After about 20 mins I checked up on him, bar and old chain was off but new one not on. He was stuffed, said it wouldn't fit and the chain must be the wrong size as was too tight. :dizzy:

I've never come across so many know alls that are legends till you hire them and realise what a load of BS it all was and they know F'all!

Good luck, try them out and if no good turf em out.

darkstar said:
Nickrosis, im not sure why you respond to this question since you sub- out your tree work.
Im completly respecting of your guidelines for hiring good employee's , but i think this fellow is looking for a tree worker with good tree skills . Im thinking you and your buisness is just so much bigger than whats in question here its not as applicable.
Just my 2 cents.
We sub a climber out for a handful of jobs, but it's our ground crew and equipment for everything. Unless the climber wants to use their own rigging gear.

It's the same old, same old for every size company. You have to have standardized hiring procedures to be taken seriously.

On Ekka's topic, I agree! Lots of knowitalls on paper. I think a pre-employment drug test would help screen out more - the people that are sober or back on earth for an interview then sky high their first day of work. I found a guy who had mowed over a pachysandra bed with a riding mower then didn't stop when I tried to flag him down. We gave him a ride home and said have a nice life. Too bad for his wife and kids...

Oh yeah, I'll go after your reputation if you're being a fool. It's the whole point of it...

Looks like nothing has changed.

Employee turnover.

It was mentioned earlier on this thread, the fact that most employees last 3-6 months. Or start out motivated, then slow down in their work. My thoughts on this, from an employee perspective are this: I've read somewhere (Newsweek, Time not sure which) that a survey among resigning employees revealed that the number one reason for people leaving jobs is lack of training. It makes sense, really. People at all levels want to feel valued. If a guy starts a job, and 6 months later is doing the exact same thing, with no progression at all. He''l feel like he's topped out, with nowhere else to go. I believe some people leave jobs looking to fill that perceived void. It's possible they think they can progress elsewhere. Training (a 3 or 4 day school or training seminar, or training that's conducted in house and documented) can and does give employees a sense of professional progress. If you, as an employer just hires people and that's as far as it ever goes, meaning the only real difference between a 3 month employee and a 1 year employee is the 9 month difference in experience. Then there's no real sense of upward progression working for an employer like that. Another example of training is to send a good employee to an equipment manufacturers sponsored training. Some companies offer it for free, all you'd pay as an employer is travel and lodging. Worth it for good employees. The more intelligent the pool of workers, the more important additional training is to them. If a company wants good employees, that company has to be worth working for and staying with. The employer creates the environment and overall atmosphere that makes employees want to stay or leave. If you treat a certain position like it's one that's easily filled, one with no growth potential, employees will see it that way also an not be interested in staying much beyond 3-6 months. The more you can keep good employees, the less tiime and effort you'll have to spend looking for new ones. Make you're company one worth staying with. Just my thoughts, from an employee perspective.

Get a good one

1) Ask all potential employees the same five or ten questions. This gives you a baseline that you can always refer to.

2) Before the interview make a score sheet for the answers. 1 = Did not answer question. 2 = Answered Question, but got it wront, 3 = Answered Question with basic understanding, 4 = Good anwer with reasonable understanding, 5 = Better than you could have done.

3) Score the applicant on the questions

4) Call their references

5) If you find a good employee - ask him/her if she has friends.

6) If you have a career fire dept. / police dept. around give them a call. A lot of them are looking for "side jobs" and most of them are pretty good workers. Ask to post an ad or a note in the newsletter that goes out to employees or post it in their break room.

I maybe lookin fer some work round feb keep me in mind.Im workin on a death wish wit good benes

Ifn id read the entire post id be drinkin n postn...Oops

how to hire

most of you have really good points. took my dad years to finally give me a chance, thats after working for next to nothing for idiots just to prove i could do it! as for drinking yes i do, but i would never ever ever drink on a job, no matter who i was working for! thats just plain stupid! i dress cleanly, try to wear bright colored shirts so my brother and dad can see me, and i have a better attitude than both of them, because they usually argue all day, so i just laugh it off! you would have to know them to understand. i smoke cig eat lotsa candies all day, ride on the hood of the skidder..i aint walking 3 miles up and down everyday, im not lazy just dont want to be tired before the end of the day! its to much of a pain to take 2 trucks and load a 4 wheeler in when you can just ride! hmm got off topic a lil..sorry. im a very good employee and i work extra hard because im a female..i hate mentioning that. but its like we need to prove ourselves! i want to learn to cut, my brother might give me a chance, my dad would have a fit! ive done it before, on my own! but i want to learn the RIGHT way and the safest! so would i make a good employee? yes i would. maybe im too curious but working with trees i dont think ill ever learn what my dads already forgot! just my 2 cents

Latest posts

Back