How to identify Stihl 045

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those holes (first pic) are for removing/mounting the muffler (access to bolt heads) with the top shroud attached... if I remember correctly - haven't worked on an 045 in a while.

Those holes (first pic) are for removing/mounting the muffler (access to bolt heads) with the top shroud attached... if I remember correctly - haven't worked on an 045 in a while.

That’s what I thought. The other hole in my 2nd picture is for the upper shroud to mount to the upper rubber a/v mount. I’m kind of confused since I don’t see any other holes.

Had it running and put it to some wood wow you can’t make it stall dig the dogs in and pull and it goes.
Shawn

I was in my grandfather’s shed today and remembered a old saw he has it is a two man Mall
That has never had fuel in it he got it from an old fellow who ordered it to cut a single tree thought he was getting a single man saw when it showed up at the train station it was in a wooden shipping crate we have the crate too.
Right before the old man died he contacted my grandfather offered it to him for what he paid for it new. Every once in a while we turn the thing over by hand and keep it from seizing up
Now that saw is made for real men.
Shawn

I was in my grandfather’s shed today and remembered a old saw he has it is a two man Mall
That has never had fuel in it he got it from an old fellow who ordered it to cut a single tree thought he was getting a single man saw when it showed up at the train station it was in a wooden shipping crate we have the crate too.
Right before the old man died he contacted my grandfather offered it to him for what he paid for it new. Every once in a while we turn the thing over by hand and keep it from seizing up
Now that saw is made for real men.
Shawn
You should post pics of that mall

When I get a chance I’ll get some pics it is a little dusty but in decent shape.
The 045 went to the woods Saturday and performed like it has been in regular use. Even though it did not have a great chain.
It is a step up from my MS 390 which I just done a muffler mod on.
Shawn

Ok I had looked in that area but failed to see it in low light but I have it now thanks guess I’ll call my local Stihl dealer and see what they can come up with. I’ll also post it here so if someone knows how to read it they chime in.
E5921967
Thanks
Shawn

95B98BBC-047B-47C0-A7FF-FF5AF433B11A.jpeg 090246E1-CAE2-41D1-805C-07AB3C12C22B.jpeg Ok I got my handle bar and I must say it’s better than it looked in the pics on eBay now it fits great but it is steel instead of aluminum like the original I took off and it only has 2 anchor points not 3 I don’t know if it’s off an older model or if it’s a cheaper option but it works for me.

After I put the handle bar on I walked the saw over to my grandfather’s house told him to come out and see the old girl. He said to bring it in and had me set it on his kitchen table so I at least grabbed a newspaper to sit it on I think he had a tear in his eyes when he started telling me stories about working in the woods. He is what most would call a workaholic up until he turned 75 he had at least two jobs all the time mostly dairy farmer and a second like coal miner truck driver or owner/operator of school buses and always working in the woods. We even had our own mill for 20 years or so.
At the age of 8 I could stack lumber run the edger and offbare slabs. If I don’t cut another log with this saw it’s worth the effort to see him smile as he talks about this saw.
Sorry for rambling on.
Shawn

After I put the handle bar on I walked the saw over to my grandfather’s house told him to come out and see the old girl. He said to bring it in and had me set it on his kitchen table so I at least grabbed a newspaper to sit it on I think he had a tear in his eyes when he started telling me stories about working in the woods. He is what most would call a workaholic up until he turned 75 he had at least two jobs all the time mostly dairy farmer and a second like coal miner truck driver or owner/operator of school buses and always working in the woods. We even had our own mill for 20 years or so.
At the age of 8 I could stack lumber run the edger and offbare slabs. If I don’t cut another log with this saw it’s worth the effort to see him smile as he talks about this saw.
Sorry for rambling on.
Shawn
Nice work on the saw, and, nice work sharing your story of your grand-dad. I own some of these saws too and enjoyed fixing them and using them. IRT your steel handle, my local saw shop told me that they were an aftermarket handle that was available at the time those saws were new. I have one of those too.

View attachment 610011 View attachment 610012 Ok I got my handle bar and I must say it’s better than it looked in the pics on eBay now it fits great but it is steel instead of aluminum like the original I took off and it only has 2 anchor points not 3 I don’t know if it’s off an older model or if it’s a cheaper option but it works for me.

Can you take a pic of the underside of the saw with the full wrap handle on it? From what I have found there are a couple different mounts for the sprocket cover side. One requires the “knockout” be removed from the cover while the other 2 are simple bolt in place brackets.

41BCACE5-8A6C-408F-8948-3DB65E67BC7F.jpeg 633D1658-B3C3-4443-9E9C-F6C28F7516CD.jpeg I’m at work now but I have a few pics that section of the full wrap was gone from the original there is a mount on the saw where the original was 1 screw to hold it. It’s in the half moon cut out of this pic. The replacement handle stops well short of the cover and not as far forward. As can be seen in the top pic.
Shawn

I have seen (by looking at pictures on the interwebs since I am researching for my own saw) that one of the “step mounts” is an aluminum bracket that bolts to the hole to the left (in the picture above) of the original mount and utilizes the same anti-vibration mount that goes between the fuel tank and engine assembly under the pull start cover. You will need to temove that old broken stub to access the mount. Truth be told, you can probably make your own mount if you have some metal and a drill.

Send me a pic of that mount I have access to a whole machine shop. As I was typing I got your pic that is not the same mount that was original on there and would have to be offset about 2” back. This handle was not meant to attach in the 3rd spot it has a plastic plug in the end like the open end that bolts to the top case. It is stout no flex hanging out in the air.
Shawn

Latest posts

Back