How to keep a spar on the stump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NebClimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The question is: with a large cottonwood spar, how do I fell it - or partly fell it - and keep it on the stump?

I am scheduled to remove a large cottonwood. The owner built his deck around it. There are no rails around the deck. I plan to remove the entire tree except the 30' spar.

Then I would cut a face notch of about 60 degrees. Fell the spar and keep it on the stump. By doing so it will bridge the deck, which is only 2' above the ground and extends on 3' beyond the tree. But I am afraid the spar will break through the hinge fibers. To be safe I could use a notch of about 45 degrees, but this might not get the spar close enough to the ground to grapple with my log truck. What is the optimum notch angle? Will a cottonwood hinge hold a big spar on the stump?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Steven

theres no way to keep it on the stump when it falls, when it gets to going it's comming off that stump.

Your best bet is to block it down in small pieces until it's all gone or crane it out.

I am sure everyone has seen a spar stop halfway down and stay connected before but as a general rule they don't. If I wanted to ensure it did I would use a crane or at the very least rig a rope to slowly lower the spar to near its hinge it could be done if a suitable rope and lowering point were available however these conditions are not encountered often and would still leave error in the equation.

You like to try and do that don't you?
From this time in 2004 was it?
http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=16682
garfieldhangover.jpg

Last edited:
I guess we have had this conversation already. I reviewed the old thread. No need for anyone to reply further.

Thanks.

It's like arguing with a woman on here :buttkick: (Not you Bermie :laugh:)

The question is: with a large cottonwood spar, how do I fell it - or partly fell it - and keep it on the stump?

To be safe I could use a notch of about 45 degrees, but this might not get the spar close enough to the ground to grapple with my log truck.
Steven

Don't fell the spar. Rig down a couple 5' pieces off the top till it is short enough to reach with log truck. Then grapple/crane down the rest in chunks with the log truck.

what i have done in the past many times and worked is use a wide snap cut. make your face cut just under half way thru, make your back cut about 3-4 inches higher. it will normally snap off and sit on the ledge of the cut. also depends on how tall the spar is and weight. you might want to practice that a little bit before you do it on a job. a rope or cable could be your best freind

I took one out of a deck where there was no access with a crane, the last 25 ft we cut to small slices that were manageable to move by hand, very time consuming but worked out well for us, and it was cheaper than a crane rental anyway ..

Last edited:
Cottonwoods won't do that. Sometimes you can get an elm to do it. But I wouldn't count on it over a deck. I agree with everyone else block it down then cut chucks and hand the last few down. Thats what we did yesterday on a big silver maple over a deck.... good luck.... Mike

Latest posts

Back