how to kill trees in your yard ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred bergman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
just bought a house that has some trees that I cant drop because of elec wires fence, so my plan kill them out and someone drop them later when I'm really to build that garage .

So you know something Mother Nature doesn't? I've always thought that girdled trees were a ticking time bomb with a moving random end time. Live trees are much more predictable to drop than dead trees. That said I'm the kind of guy who always changes things so unless you only have one spot to build I would just wait and cut them down when you are ready.
Is your tree guy going to give you a discount if the trees are standing and dead or is he going to charge a premium because they are standing and dead? Will he have to climb them to drop them? I have some poplars here that I want to drop but they are real close to the hydro lines so they will stay standing until I gain more skill or the wind blows them into the wires. I won't be girdling them now though.

I agree that this is a bad plan. If you kill them they may become so dangerous that you have to have them cut sooner than you would like. They will be safer left alive. Safer to cut and safer not to cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats a terrible idea to kill a tree and have it looming over your house. Unless you like thr future to contain airmail branches and impaled cars or worse people. Leave it alone until you are able to take it down, while its healthy.

Four generations of tree care, and if you called me and I saw you girdled the trees to kill them, and then let them stand till they started to fall apart. I'd give you the number of the new Mexican guy that just opened up business, he works cheaper than me. He's a heck of a hard worker, doesn't have insurance yet, but why would you care about that. You made them dangerous on purpose, Joe.

You might want to get the tress out a few years before the build of your garage, depending on tree type and size and soil type. If its a clay soil and currently being dessicated at depth by the tree then it is possible the ground will heave for a few years after tree removal.

Latest posts

Back