How to know if a dead tree is safe to fell?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what it appears to look like from the side, leaning left.

attachment.php

DeanBrown3D said:
This is what it appears to look like from the side, leaning left.

attachment.php

If I follow that right the rotted portion is right where the undercut notch would go. If so, why notch it at all? they rot has taken care of the the 'folding' clearance as the tree goes over. Looks like just a normal back cut would do the job. But then I am far from a professional so...

Harry K

It looks like you have a couple of feet of decent trunk under the scar. I'd make my notch and backcut there. Otherwise make your notch right on the scar. But don't try cutting over your head or off a ladder-too dangerous. And if you do attach a rope to it, don't pull on it with a truck. Once had a similar tree in which I set a rope running to my double blocks because it leaned the wrong way. As I was tensioning up the rope with my blocks, it snapped right off and I hadn't even made a cut! Fortunately it fell the right way but the trunk ended up being in even worse shape than it looked. Just be careful.

turnkey4099 said:
If I follow that right the rotted portion is right where the undercut notch would go. If so, why notch it at all? they rot has taken care of the the 'folding' clearance as the tree goes over. Looks like just a normal back cut would do the job. But then I am far from a professional so...

Harry K

As I first said, you may want to consider a small notching where the face cut would normally be, either side in line frm side to side,direction, then back cut normally. I totally agree with all advice about trying to cut above the suspicious area, just don't do it. The small cuts on either side (and don't go back far a few inches maybe), will help direct the fall and most importantly will relieve the stress at the joint and lessening the chance of adverse splitting on the sides of the stump as you are running away. I try to close my eyes and imagine potential stresses and the worst that could happen, act accordingly. As some above^^ have pointed out about cutting above rot like this you run the risk of collapse/ splits/bad stuff happening. The tree is still standing and, if you can get below this and fall it normally, that I think is your safest bet. Ladders no, no ladders! And when your spotter yells 'stuff is coming down!' run in the indicated direction, don't look up to see where its coming from because I think that by the time you see it you're toast. Think it out and just do it.

My 0.024 worth fer the day. (adjusted for today's inflation) :D

;cheers:

Serge

face and back cut

You may not need to do anything to achieve an appropriate face.

Or you may have to only do a minimal cut to 'complete' the face.

A standard back cut is the best bet in rot situations.
Boring could well bring about a pinched bar, with inadequate support from rotten wood collapsing on the bar and chain.

Hey.. I'm not a pro, but in my firewood business I have cut many dead trees in the woods. First off, being on teh ladder could get you killed, second you probably don't want to put much rope tension on a snag unless your goal is to pull it over without cutting it. Last, I think the safest thing to do is make your cuts below the scar. Put a rope on it but don't have the other guy pull it until you're making your backcut. be careful and it is a real good idea to wear a helmet and have at least 2 escape lanes. Good luck,
J.D.

DeanBrown3D said:
I'm still waiting for the guy to move the kids play set. Tree is still standing!

Dean

Treeco and someone else mentioned it. I do it on any tree with a significant lean. Log chain wrap above my cuts. Prevents barber chair. It has only saved my butt once for certain (a couple other times I think) but once is all it takes. In your case it is probably not needed but what can it hurt?

Harry K

You know if a trees to dead to climb if it starts breaking off and falling on climber as he goes up. I always shake the tree imma put down.
Its ok just climb them dead ones too..:monkey:

And then you get old and you just keep on climbing um. Like last week lightening struck white oak. It wasw so lightening struck that after I cut all the limbs leaning to the right from phototropism it released all the pressure and you clould have stuck your leg thru the tree from the lightening explosion down below. Ligthening struck the tree in half and it still helpd.

Today thou was a Sudden Oak Death victum. Some smoke came off the rope na dfun was had by all.;)

Last edited:
I looked at a pine this week imma bid at 3 grand to haul off. Its so scary my wife wont look at jobs with me anymore.!:bang:

well, get some video and stuff, I'll help ya.

Video, pics etc, no worries, only TM's formats have beaten me thus far. :confused: He's got some weird files!

Latest posts

Back