How to know proper file size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rarely related to gauge, more commonly to chain pitch. In any case your manual or the chain manufactures specs with speak to file size for each chain.

You need to know the pitch .325,3/8,3/8 lo pro,.404

They should all take a 3/16" round file then.....

Not so fast you two.

Pitch alone will not tell you what size file you need. Some .325 chains use a 4.5 mm file instead of a 3/16 while 3/8 chain can use up to three different sizes.

You need to really know what chain you have.

Not so fast you two.

Pitch alone will not tell you what size file you need. Some .325 chains use a 4.5 mm file instead of a 3/16 while 3/8 chain can use up to three different sizes.

Agreed. I stated was gauge has nothing to do with file size and i never gave a specific file size.

Not so fast you two.

Yeah I figured that "linky" thing I posted would be helpful, but alas I failed to explain why I posted it. Once again Mark you have added some clarity to the mud in this creek.

Not so fast you two.

Pitch alone will not tell you what size file you need. Some .325 chains use a 4.5 mm file instead of a 3/16 while 3/8 chain can use up to three different sizes. You need to really know what chain you have.

Thats the easy one....

The one that still has me scratching my head...

Oregon 90S and SG (3/8 x .043) <----the really light duty stuff...also takes 4.5mm

Not so fast you two.

Very true, didn't see your post before I posted. :agree2:

Thanks to everyone good to go now. I had the chain made at a dealer and he put it in a blank box, which is why I didn't know the proper size I needed.

Not so fast you two.

I know 7/32s and 11/64ths for stihl, what is the third size for doing regular 3/8ths chain?

TIA

edit:aaak! yes, 13/64ths and no i don't have one of those.

Last edited:
You guys need to look at what you are trying to accomplish, the same file will not be correct throughout the life of the chain, and the correct
starting file is different for each chain.

You need too visually verify what you need.

I know 7/32s and 11/64ths for stihl, what is the third size for doing regular 3/8ths chain?

TIA

11/64ths? I thought it was 7/32nds 13/64ths, 5/32nds for 3/8ths LoPro.........Ahhhhh my head hurts now..........:dizzy:

Back