How to learn the how-to's of cutting firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never figured cutting firewood would require so much knowledge! Last year, I bought a Stihl ms290 chainsaw. I wanted a saw because we need to cut up a tree now and then that falls in 3-acre yard....

.......Then I read about a muffler mod.

49793684.jpg

Better hurry up on that muffler mod!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

. . . is there an instructional DVD series, lol?.
Lots of good videos on YouTube
Yeah, but also some really bad and dangerous ones. Hard to know when you are starting out.

In this video you will learn the basics about starting, using and maintaining a chainsaw. It is a helpful video for starters.
The Husqvarna videos (linked above) are pretty good, basic info, regardless of what brand saw you have. STIHL also has a good video series:

Oregon on chain sharpening:

These are very basic.

Philbert

Don't get bar pinched. Keep chain out of the dirt. Learn to file chain. Keep chain sharp. Don't use ethanol gas. Wear eye and ear protection.

Lots of YouTube videos on it, lots of good info has already been posted. Most important thing to learn is wear your PPE, getting saw bite sucks. Depending on your location there may be a forum member local to you that wouldn't mind giving you a few pointers on cutting and maintenence/upkeep.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

Better hurry up on that muffler mod!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What is this video showing? I don't get it. Or is this showing how fast the saw cuts after a mod? With no reference, I don't know if he's cutting fast or not and there are no comments with the video.

+1 on tagging along with someone more experienced and everything else mentioned.

Once the trees are on the ground things are not necessarily cut and dry (no pun intented) as far as how to go about it.

And this holds real true if you are in a storm cleanup where things are a jumbled mess.

A tree that's down and has tension on it somewhere is just as bad as dropping one, imo.

lots of good ideas here already, but I'll hammer again on the point of safety, do not take any shortcuts in this area; as mentioned, always wear a good pair of boots, eye and ear protection. Yes, saws can be dangerous, but so can pretty much any tool that's in the wrong hands. Don't be afraid of it, just give it the respect it deserves. If you are not 100% in mind and body, don't start the saw, that's been my motto since I started using a saw over 39 years ago; if I don't quite feel tip top, I might pile wood, sharpen some chains, or whatever, but I don't run the saw. Take extra precaution when making any moves with a running saw; make triple sure of your footing. Also - and not many people think of this - instruct everyone never to approach you from behind or the sides when you're running a saw, that's how accidents happen.....just like in the workshop - I position my power tools (table saw, router table, etc.) so I'm facing the entry door when operating them so I can tell when someone enters, much safer for the operator as well as the bystander.

What a path to get started down! You will make every mistake in the book, but you will learn. You will rock out the chain, you will get the saw pinched a bunch of times. you will have trees go the wrong way. All the fun of it!

The 290 would be a great starter saw. CAD (chainsaw acquisition disorder) is rampant around here. First it starts as a modded muffler, and then a larger saw, and then, and then.... Oh dear.

The valid point has been made about being safe. I cut for years with just ear plugs and gloves. I wear my chaps now.

my 2 cents worth

+1 on tagging along with someone more experienced and everything else mentioned.

Once the trees are on the ground things are not necessarily cut and dry (no pun intented) as far as how to go about it.

And this holds real true if you are in a storm cleanup where things are a jumbled mess.

A tree that's down and has tension on it somewhere is just as bad as dropping one, imo.

Most definitely.

I was also told to hold on to the chainsaw like it wants to kill you. :D

Most definitely.

I was also told to hold on to the chainsaw like it wants to kill you. :D

That's good advice but there are also times to let go of the saw. Like when you're backing one up and it starts to go and you're trying to finesse the hinge just a tiny bit more and it grabs your bar as it's going over. Let go of the saw... a bent bar or even a crushed saw isn't worth trying to save a saw that you're not going to get back anyway.

Another let go of the saw moment is when you're bucking on steep ground, get hung up, and the log starts to roll downhill with your saw firmly attached.

This is a picture of one of our members. He's one of the best fallers there is. He's not hung up and the log didn't roll but if it happened you can bet he'd let go of the saw.
Cody%20bucking_zpsfkrrnqiw.jpg

Working with someone who knows what they are doing would probably be the best

And just about anyone that cuts firewood would probably like some help for a couple of days to get you started

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
This will teach you a lot better than all the youtube vids.

Back