How to make your 7900 or 681 NON rev-limited

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still not quite sure what your reasoning for going back to stock on the saw was?? At the very least the saw was running better than a 7900 it was in one of brads videos.

I'm still not quite sure what your reasoning for going back to stock on the saw was?? At the very least the saw was running better than a 7900 it was in one of brads videos.

Because a stock 681 beat it, so he probably got a stock cylinder so it could be re-ported later on... My guess anyhow:)

Last edited:
I think the videos speak for themselves. Those were taken right before I shipped it. Stock for stock, there's a very slim margin between a 681 and 7900. This 681 was about 30% faster than the stock 7900. And that was while the 681 was pulling a 28" B&C buried in the wood, and the 7900 only had a 20".

You might also want to check out Jason's own thread when he first got the saw. LINK

This certainly doesn't look anything like a stock saw to me.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nyM1LTShfB0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nyM1LTShfB0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Because a stock 681 beat it, so he probably got a stock cylinder so it could be re-ported later on... My guess anyhow:)

The 681 is back to a stock saw. It has been for a while now.

I bought a brand new P&C and a new muffler. Currently, in it's stock form, it still cuts faster than my ported 7900 and it has more torque too.

Are you two saying the stock 681 top end back on the solo was faster and had more torque then the ported 681 top end in these videos :dizzy::dizzy:.

:jawdrop::jawdrop:

I thought Woodchucker was very happy with the saw when he first got it? Didn't he run it against a sling'r ported 7900? I know there's a thread somewhere....

I was happy when I got it. I really was - that was in no way a lie. But in all honesty I didn't know what I had. I was really really excited to get my hands on a Solo 681 - and the fact that I was getting my hands on one that was ported was the icing on the cake.

I ran it against a stock 681 this past spring, and the stock 681 I ran it up against was consistently 2-5 tenths faster. I didn't understand it though because my Snellerized 681 was faster than my 7900.

I went back and forth with Brad a bit, and I made the decision to buy a new P&C and new muffler. On the 681's first tank with the new P&C and muffler, it was still cutting faster than my 7900 and it had more torque than the 7900 as well. The difference is more noticeable now that the 681 has broken in.

I couldn't believe it when I found that my newly stock converted 681 was taking my 7900. It was a shock to find that out for sure.

Jason and I have discussed this saw several times. All I know is what I documented on the saw before sold, and don't see a saw that a stock saw could touch. I also can't control what's done with a saw after it leaves. Reguardless, I offered several months ago, and again today, to compensate him for the P&C. Jason kindly declined. Neither one of us want to see this turn into a mud slinging contest. I would love to put this P&C on another saw and do a heads up comparison against a stock saw myself. I can't stand the thoughts of having to mess with another keyless flywheel though, lol.

Yes, Romeo was the originator of this mod. It's no secret that the 272 coil works on these saws, but the details were less than clear to me. Perhaps they're posted elsewhere, but I don't go elsewhere. The details of this tutorial of are of my own findings and work. I felt that a detailed tutorial would be benefitial to others interested in this mod.

Not that it really matters... but guess who was doing it 2 years before Romeo?

Not trying to get involved in a pizzing match but, I own the stock 681 that it was compared against, this is no Bull story, it's the truth. It all comes down to all saws can't be modified the same and it's not easy. Maybe this mod just didn't work out the best. These 681's are very powerful saws to start with. You won't hear anymore from me on this matter just saying Woodchucker is not BS'ing

I would think that a ported 7900 would take a stock 681 all day long. But why if youre not happy with the p&c wouldn't you send it back? It sounds like brad is doing his best to make this right, and it would be interesting to see what it does on another 681 tuned in properly.

I would think that a ported 7900 would take a stock 681 all day long. But why if youre not happy with the p&c wouldn't you send it back? It sounds like brad is doing his best to make this right, and it would be interesting to see what it does on another 681 tuned in properly.

I'm telling you for a fact that my stock 681 beats my 7900 in torque and speed. How in god's name that is I have no idea. But I can clearly push harder on the 681 and timed cuts prove that the 681 is faster each and every time.

I haven't sent the original P&C back to Brad because I need the decomp valve in the new cylinder and I can't get it out of the old one (the new cylinder came without a decomp valve). That cylinder will be going back to the original owner no matter who takes the decomp valve out.

In a perfect world, the taper does lock it down. But it doesn't take much for it not to hold too. I've ran a couple saws without keys. Some have held, some haven't. I seriously prefer to leave them in. It's a huge hassle trying to dial in the tuning on a saw with no key. I never alter the timing on saws I build for others. It's not worth the risk of having it slip. It's another thing if I do it to one of mine and I can deal with it if it happens.

In a normal world, the taper won't give you grief if set properly.
Clean taper, clean flywheel and torqued nut should be all it needs.
I doubt the engineers got it wrong!

I think the videos speak for themselves. Those were taken right before I shipped it. Stock for stock, there's a very slim margin between a 681 and 7900. This 681 was about 30% faster than the stock 7900. And that was while the 681 was pulling a 28" B&C buried in the wood, and the 7900 only had a 20".

This certainly doesn't look anything like a stock saw to me.

So a stock 681 beat the ported 681 chucker has?? Or a stock 681 beat the 7900?

both,

so a stock 681 is still beating a ported 7900... tells me two things.

1. the 7900 must not have been ported well
2. the stock 681 top end is close to the ported one

these are just my observations take them for what you will

both,

so a stock 681 is still beating a ported 7900... tells me two things.

1. the 7900 must not have been ported well
2. the stock 681 top end is close to the ported one

these are just my observations take them for what you will

I'm sure quite some time ago there was a run between these two stock with very little in it!

Latest posts

Back