how to move a japanese maple?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOkin1

Reaction score
I have a Jap Maple...the laceleaf 'Everred' kind, its approximately 20 years old I guess....its about 6'h x 6.5'w big its really pretty!

I understand that I could sell this tree for about 10k, and I think I would like to do that, but how do I (or the buyer) go about moving it without killing it?

and is it possible to have it appraised? do people do that?

I have another one that is only growing on one side, due to bushes that over grew it....I've cut those bushes away, but how can I help it to come back on the one side?

Get the $10K first, and then let them worry about moving it. Get paid in advance, because they do not transplant well.

Do not cut any live branches, if possible. Mulch out to the drip line and well-drained organic soil is best.

"I understand that I could sell this tree for about 10k, and I think I would like to do that, but how do I (or the buyer) go about moving it without killing it?"
By a very careful insured professional ;)

and is it possible to have it appraised?
Contact wholesale nurseries for the cost of the tree, and tree movers for the cost of transport/installation. That $10k is just smoke blown up your pants leg :cry: , the tree's not THAT big.

how can I help it to come back on the one side?
Consider guying :p , tying back branches to fill the gap. Be careful, they're brittle.
You need to hire an arborist; see isa-arbor.com or plantamnesty.org

Its just a small tree
You'll give me ten thousand bucks...
I'll miss you laceleaf

i saw a brillant one on e bay in a 6 ' by 6 ' container for 5000 it never sold hey i thought u could sell anything on e bay ? seriously though they do not transplant well .....especially in summer

I don't know where some of you get your info but in my opinion Japanese Maples transplant rather well and should be easy to move. Measure the stem or trunk diameter about 6" above the soil line. Figure a root ball diameter of 12" per inch of measure of trunk. If you trunk diameter is two inches your root ball would be 24" across. Take measurements and dig a narrow trench around each plant, 2/3 as deep as the diameter of your root ball. Sever the remaining roots, under the plant and pot it up or burlap it. Try to keep as much soil intact as possible. Place the plant in a sheltered, shady area and spray water on it or mist it frequently. After misting it for a few days any shock should have passed and it can remain in this sheltered area for an extended period of time with regular irrigation of the root ball and foliage. You may want to heel it in bark for longer term storage. When planting you should transplant at the same depth or slightly higher, water very well and mulch. Keep an eye on it and water regularly until established. Possibly two years. If your plant is not but an inch or two in caliper I wouldn't even bother digging a narrow trench, I would simply dig with the edge of the spade. Get as much root and soil intact and transplant in a timely fashion.

Last edited:
I aree, maples in general are easier than many other genera. Still if care is not taken it will die--or look so bad you'll wish it had.

So Brad, is a 6x6 Everred worth $10k?

Gotta go with Elmore here, couple summers ago client had to have foundation work done, I dug up 4 high graft laceleaf maples and root pruned (hard) to get them into containers. Stems size was @ 3" dia. They lived in pots for 3 months, sitting in the backyard while the work was done,watered infrequently by homeowner who also resides out of town, then replanted. As far as I can tell, they not only didn't loose a leaf, they are doing very well. Couldn't be hard to transplant if they can survive that.
-Ralph

most expensive ones I have seen was when I was working at a large nursery a few years ago, I think they were imported from Tennessee. The shipping was a BIG part of the price as there were only 12 or 14 trees in a 50 foot trailer, trucked to BC ( a fair ways on the best of days). They were root balled and we planted them in custom made wooden boxes ranging from 42 inches square to about 60 inches square.The largest was priced at $7500 and sold for $5000 a year later. the rest of them were about $2500 to $4500 and most sold for about 20% less than the tagged price. Age wise we etimated the trees to range from 15 to about 35 years old. So I agree with Treeseer and I think that $10 grand for a 6 by 6 homegrown, in ground Maple is a tad rich. That being said, PT Barnum said there was a sucker born every minute. If you can sell it for that price, more power to ya but I wouldnt spend it before its in the bank.

FWIW - I have clients that see trees in the nurseries priced in that $1000 and up price range and then they come to me and say "man, I sholud get someone to dig mine up and sell it to the nursery for that price". I smile and let them know its probably not gonna happen. Consider that a tree that is in the older range, say 15 years, height and spread about 6 or 8 feet, will require a root ball about 55 to 60 inches across and about 30 to 36 inches deep. You will require someone to root prune the tree then wait 6 months and get them back to trench around the tree. You need someone who knows how to drum tie a large rootball. You need a crane with an operator who can lift and move your tree without damaging it. You then need to transport that tree to a nursery and perform a song and dance for a nursery buyer that will not be interested in a very expensive plant that has no guarantee. A nursery around here would probably like to mark up a high end (aka high risk) plant like that by 2.2 to 3 times cost. so if that tree is retailing for $1000 they would like to pay no more than about $450. long story short, it will cost you about $500 to get it out of the ground and to the nursery, its not worth it. I let folks know that if they really want to get rid of a mature plant like that to put an ad in the classifieds and offer it for free to a landscaper that will guarantee to repair the damage they do in removing it. the reason is it will cost the landscaper the same to get it out of the ground and to a new home, again with no guarantee to back up the plant.

im alwasy so scared to transplant them elmore ... i get asked to do alot ... hmm i noticed the tree on e bay for 4800 see the buyer will come up dig it and transplant it ..etc... smart one they are huh we shall see if he gets it .... ive got over 300 about 2 feet tall im gonna be rich someday haha.....dark

smokin1, your tree is not that big. it should transplant well -even this late in the season. i would try and get a 3' root ball on that. at that size it will still be manageable. good to keep the rootball as big as (practically)possible. as a couple others here have pointed out, it is important too keep as much dirt as possible clinging to the roots as you can. when the dirt is pulled off it takes very tiny root fibers w/it. those sre how the plant is absorbing its nutrients and o2 out of the soil. i like using vitamin b12 to help the recovery after it is in the final location. the less time between xtraction and transplant, the better. protect the tree from direct sunlight for as much as several weeks, and keep the roots well irrigated. but be careful during this time of weakened resistance. the plant is susceptible to mildew/ mold. i know the month of june can sometimes still be very damp in the NW do your best to make sure the soil is as similar to where the plant came from as possible. make sure there's good drainage. it'll do fine.

darkstar said:
.... ive got over 300 about 2 feet tall im gonna be rich someday haha.....dark
You ought to graft those seedlings. I think they will be worth more if they are grafted cultivars.

Back