How to prime carb after rebuild???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

presta24

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just rebuilt the Walbro on my 3400, along with new fuel line and filter. How do I prime it?

can i shoot either in the cyl? If not how much mix should I put in there? And my what method?
Do NOT use staring fluid! I use a spray bottle. One little squirt normally does it. You may need to do this several times until carb primes.

I assembly w/ either a few drops of 2-cycle oil or SeaFoam spray on the carb parts. Those little flipper check valve in the carb will seal for sure that way. It's not gonna fire 1st pull but as soon as possible.

Wipe some Valvoline bearing grease all around the gas filler hole on the side of that Poulan, put your mouth on it and blow, then hold your breath/pressure for 30 seconds. Now try to start it, should start up right away.

Have your wife or significant other video the process, then post it here for us to see, please!

Good for you, I was kidding on the mouth pressurizing. Most of the time you can just shake/agitate the saw with the gas cap screwed down tight, and the lines will purge out air when you first try to start it up. The vapor pressure of the gasoline mix is pretty high, I've seen 3-4 psi on a pressure test gas cap gauge in the hot summer.

Good for you, I was kidding on the mouth pressurizing. Most of the time you can just shake/agitate the saw with the gas cap screwed down tight, and the lines will purge out air when you first try to start it up. The vapor pressure of the gasoline mix is pretty high, I've seen 3-4 psi on a pressure test gas cap gauge in the hot summer.

Ya, in knew the mouth thing was a joke lol. Where is a good starting point to tune?

Ya, in knew the mouth thing was a joke lol. Where is a good starting point to tune?
1&1/4 turns CCW out from fully seated on both needles. Screw the idle adjuster in until it touches the linkage/bellcrank, then about 2&1/2 turns in CW. It'll probably idle high but it keeps you from having to restart it five times...

On the old mag. devils I deal with, I remove the pump side cover, fish out the needle valve inlet screen and give it severl drips form a dropper (Visene for eyes) while holding the needle off its seat with a straight pin. Fills the metering chamber. Drip some more around the flappers and replace the diaphram and cover. Saves several extra pulls.

Then I discover the fuel inlet screen on the workbench and R&R the cover again to get ii where it belongs.

Helya! sounds good!

Now we just keep the goodness of the lime green cuttin' machines in house, so we all can keep getting these great saws for cheap bucks.

I've been wanting a saw for a while now. Just always borrowed one from my dad, or father in law. When I saw this one it reminded me of my dads old McCulloch hes been cutting with since before I was born (1980). So I jumped on it for $25 with case!

Sounds like you have the L set right but I didn't hear it 4 stroke when you wound it up. If it doesn't, it's to lean on the H and you need to richen it or risk scoring the p/c.

Latest posts

Back