How to prune a 30' pear tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can remove at least 30% of a crown as long as your cuts are very clean an dont go past the branch collar into the trunk.
Id start with all the little branches that are considered "suckers" and move up from there.
Just keep in mind that your equipment needs to be EXTREMELY sharp, like scares you to slip with it sharp.
And always under cut the hanging branches 1/4 so as not to peel bark down the limb into the main trunk.

You can remove at least 30% of a crown as long as your cuts are very clean an dont go past the branch collar into the trunk.
Id start with all the little branches that are considered "suckers" and move up from there.
Just keep in mind that your equipment needs to be EXTREMELY sharp, like scares you to slip with it sharp.
And always under cut the hanging branches 1/4 so as not to peel bark down the limb into the main trunk.
I swear I can hear my mother giving me this lecture when I was a kid.

Of course, this was the woman who I think could have grafted a toothpick to a broomstick and gotten fruit the following year - so I tended to listen. ;)

In 2001 I did get my Master Gardeners certification in topiary pruning, at LockHaven university.
One thing I can say is that if a fruit tree has never been pruned its gonna potentially look shockingly bad for the first year but you'll get a healthy tree and better quality fruit.

Latest posts

Back