How To Remove Aluminum Transfer Without Acid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right. I never use a hone.

I have different size hones, and have used them in the past........until I found this way.
Good to know, THANK you sir!!!!
One more question... Running the scotch brite pad up and down the cylinder gives it enough "texture" for the rings to seat? Or is this really not an issue on these saw motors?

I recently bought the 5 hone kit from baileys. I returned that...

Me too. Wish I could return mine. Never been out of the packaging. Been a little too long for me, though.

That said, I still think there's a place for the honing approach to reviving trashed cylinders by someone skilled enough and with the experience to utilize the method effectively. Just a different approach to using another type of abrasive process to ultimately achieve the same end result. Some would say it is superior to other methods when done right and actually enhances overall port beveling in general....just on a smoothing basis, mind you.

I would venture to say that this thread is one of the more valuable among the many informative threads I've read over the years. Should be the first one in a new sticky called "Myth Busters".:clap:

I wish there was a DIY/mods/maintence section in the stickies so threads like this would not get lost in the shuffle. I have been on other forums that had a mods section and it was nothing but links to those peticular threads. I don't want a thread that has 5 pages of junk to get to the next good informative thread.

Good to know, THANK you sir!!!!
One more question... Running the scotch brite pad up and down the cylinder gives it enough "texture" for the rings to seat? Or is this really not an issue on these saw motors?

The rings will probably "bed in" quicker after using the emery cloth, even though the Scotchbrite was used to polish the plating.

I dont know if its been mentioned or not but Stihl has a 4-mix repair kit that has a really cool mandrel with screw on scotch bright pads...I use that in a cordless drill with some spray lube to go slow...Done 12 or so in the last 2 years and saved all but the worst that acid wouldnt have worked on either....

I have to admit to learning the hard way about acid as well. Both cylinders I've tried it on wound up with a case of the pits. Sanding it off it is!

I wish there was a DIY/mods/maintence section in the stickies so threads like this would not get lost in the shuffle. I have been on other forums that had a mods section and it was nothing but links to those peticular threads. I don't want a thread that has 5 pages of junk to get to the next good informative thread.

Well said. I agree. Even though I like to read a lot, there are times when there is a more immediate need to hopefully find what you really want to learn and use.

Thanks Mastermind for the great demos. Love to learn and love to save instead of buying another part.

Well said. I agree. Even though I like to read a lot, there are times when there is a more immediate need to hopefully find what you really want to learn and use.

Thanks Mastermind for the great demos. Love to learn and love to save instead of buying another part.
I have not forgot about this idea. I need to update my thread in the chainsaw stickies to get the ball rolling. This thread will be a good one to add to that list.

The transfer can be removed by hand or shall I say by finger.I used small pieces of sticky sandpaper and stuck on my finger.took a pretty good while.I finished up with scotchbrite and made one of the wigglesworth thingies.if I had tried acid.I would have had to throwed the cylinder in the scrap pile

Do you always put your fingers out when holding the tool?

just need a glass of tea to top it off

Actually, that would be considered nearly perfect right hand form with proper 4th and 5th finger bracing when doing delicate work on an easily damaged thing while using a rotating tool. And, it makes you look like an extra on downton abbey:D

Last edited:
Back