How To Remove Aluminum Transfer Without Acid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LowVolt said: ↑

“A little bird told me they have the foredom style grinder at Harbor Freight. Possibly not the best tool but it should work for cylinder clean-ups.

http://www.harborfreight.com/flexible-shaft-grinder-and-carver-40432.html

That one has a good motor, but the handpieces will get hot when you use them for a few minutes. The Foredom handpieces will fit though.

I really didn't need to know that. I have the Harbor fright unit and trying to save up money for projects was already tough.

and I'm assuming the like button is stuck in the smiley bin , So I haven't been able to like anything on here since the site rebuild.

edit to add lost qoute

Yes, they are very good. You are limited to 1/8 and 1/32 collets though.

I just saw the collet limitation, but that shouldn't present a major problem. Bigger inconvenience is no vari-speed on my particular Dremel, though it does have all the multi-speed positions.

Thank you, sir.

I really didn't need to know that. I have the Harbor fright unit and trying to save up money for projects was already tough.

and I'm assuming the like button is stuck in the smiley bin , So I haven't been able to like anything on here since the site rebuild.

It's the little "thumb up" thingie in the lower right hand corner of a post.

there is a dotted line between your post and your sig line....follow it all the way to the right and you'll see the thumbs up symbol

So what exactly is the "thing" you cut down to run the scotch brite pad? How many mm's smaller are you making that "thing?"

It's a Roloc mandrel Rory.

$(KGrHqN,!rcFHEZN9f0DBRzc4W!1vw~~60_35.JPG

I don't have a certain undersize.......I just want the Scotchbrite tight in the bore. Sometimes I double the pad.

Ok 20 questions I know...

So is that black part rubber or metal?

Looks like neoprene or something along those lines to me. Doesn't really need to be. Can just as well be a smaller diameter wire brush attachment (I'd use brass) or anything else that'll grab the ScotchBrite (or whatever) pad keeping it from slipping in the bore for the final pass. I like the Roloc approach though. No surprise dings or scratches from bristles or a metal attachment. Pretty cool.

Looks like neoprene or something along those lines to me. Doesn't really need to be. Can just as well be a smaller diameter wire brush attachment (I'd use brass) or anything else that'll grab the ScotchBrite (or whatever) pad keeping it from slipping in the bore for the final pass. I like the Roloc approach though. No surprise dings or scratches from bristles or a metal attachment. Pretty cool.
And they should be very easy to cut down to the proper size. I have one in the shop now, just always used it for it's intended application. :)

Shoo lord.the only way I could fix grits is if they'd take off aluminum transfer.lol I could eat sandpaper faster than grits.lol dont get me started on homney. ;)

Oh yeah thank you mr mastermind for the work on the vids and everyone else for the ideas.im gettin tired of rustin everything down with acid fumes.I got roloc arbors and think I can get by with my 1/4'' air die grinder with the rest

Yeah the roloc is the way to go. I to would be afraid of the metal bristles scratching the cylinder. I have a few trashed cylinders (deep gouges) here I am going to try this method. Then after I clean them I am going to see what it takes to really **** them up.

I recently bought the 5 hone kit from baileys. I returned that, and bought the used foredom and all accessories to make this method work and just about made an even trade. I am really excited to try this method!

I was just about to head to the store for some muriatic acid when I decided to check what posts I needed to catch up on here...and then I got sidetracked by this one. Still had to go to Napa for the red scotchbrite pads, but had pretty much everything else here for this project.
Craigslist 357xp jug before:

and after:

Works pretty darned good I'd say. Got a meteor piston on the way from weedeaterman and I'll be back in business.

Latest posts

Back