How To Remove Aluminum Transfer Without Acid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is cool to see someone else does this technique as well lol. I've been using this on and off for a couple years on sled & bike motors and just started using it on saws at the Stihl dealership I work at.

You should of seen the expression my boss had when I handed him a "refreshed" 441 cylinder that had been straight gassed. He wondered how I did it...I just told him a little emery cloth and some time will go a long way.

Thanks for sharing Randy!!! I learn a lot from your threads, I hope I can start porting in the near future.

How do you think a fine grit flap wheel would do for this application? Or even one of those flap wheel scotch brite combo wheels?

Sorta what I was getting at...

I can imagine anyone reading this who hasn't appreciated the work that actually goes into salvaging a bad cylinder thinking their 18volt DeWalt and a sanding drum from Home Depot is gonna refurb their particular toasted top end in 10 minutes. There's a little more to it than that, but obviously more than one way to skin a cat, too...as has been demonstrated by another great thread.

Last edited:
I gave up on the acid years ago also. One thing I do is use a 7/32 round file to knock off the majority of the aluminum by hand. I've found it works really well, is fast and won't go through the plating. I then go with the emory cloth in the same grits you use. I really like how you do the final cleanup with the Scotch Brite. I'm going to make up a few of those plugs in different diameters.

You are right. I did win.

I have an 066 with this exact problem, and since you showed us this great idea I may have a running saw soon.

I was a machinist for years and used the split arbor with emory all the time. I've made many of those extensions for flap wheels, and yet this never occurred to me for my cylinder until you demonstrated it.

Thank you MM :bowdown: :clap:

By the way, I've had my eye out for a hobby lathe for a while, and this thread prompted me to go look at Grizzly.

Thought I'd share that they have their small South Bend lathe on sale for something like 30% off for those interested.

Sorta what I was getting at...

I can imagine anyone reading this who hasn't appreciated the work that actually goes into salvaging a bad cylinder thinking their 18volt DeWalt and a sanding drum from Home Depot is gonna refurb their particular toasted top end in 10 minutes.

Well, I did take a drill bit and slide a piece of water hose around it, tape some sandpaper to it and chuck it in the drill press.......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back