How To Remove Aluminum Transfer Without Acid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those two guys have helped me so much to better understand this stuff. A big thanks from me to them as well.

Randy,

A huge "Thank you!" to them and especially you. You didn't only explain it, but showed how it's done step by step. You could teach a chimpanzee to do that.

Amazing!

You have given a whole lot of saws a new lease on life. I'm off to the hardware store ...

dd

Randy your way shown is going to save me a lot of elbow grease. Been doing it without acid for about 5 years now.

What really got me started doing it this way was after I ruined a couple. If they have a scratch that's thru the plating, the acid will eat at the underlying aluminum and the scratch becomes a gulley. Same for pits, the acid gets in the pits, and it eats and eats.......

Always a pleasure to see a man work when he's good and enjoys what he does. I love the effective tools made from simple objects.

I've had good success with the eye bolt and Scotchbrite, but was always worried I'd contact the bore with the eye bolt - I used longer pieces and never did, but I like that better. If I ever do another I may borrow that idea.

What really got me started doing it this way was after I ruined a couple. If they have a scratch that's thru the plating, the acid will eat at the underlying aluminum and the scratch becomes a gulley. Same for pits, the acid gets in the pits, and it eats and eats.......

Same for the ports if one isn't careful. Petroleum jelly around the ports is a good idea if you're doing the acid thing aggressively to a large area, say with a cotton ball vs. the q-tip approach.

So who has the magic for doin' this the redneck way with a Dremel and a coupla beers? I seem to have misplaced my Foredam.

Now ****......get on ebay. Foredoms ain't too expensive.

I hear ya. I just don't do enough of this stuff on a regular basis to justify pulling that trigger yet. You mentioned the convenience of the foot pedal...

What ballbark rpm's were you turning?...I mean loosely, generally speaking.

Last edited:
I run it all over the place.....revving it over the transfer......letting it coast across the plating. At what RPM????? Who knows?

How do you think a fine grit flap wheel would do for this application? Or even one of those flap wheel scotch brite combo wheels?

Thanks for sharing this. I just wish I had known about this method two cylinders ago as I learned the above the hard way. As you said just a little scratch and you have a gully - a pit and you have a bigger pit. The acid seems to like fresh aluminum better than the transfer. Thanks again. Ron

Do any of them there monkeys have a trick for peeling plating???????????????????????

Latest posts

Back