How to start a saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been there did that many many times. In fact we just mounted up the buzz saw on a JD "A" that the old man just reconditioned. Its been about 15 years since it was mounted up to a tractor.

I used to drop start smaller saws, and larger saws on the ground--before I figured out the faster and more energy efficient method I use now. I put the rear handle bar underneath my right knee, hold the front handle with my left hand, and pull the starter cord with my right hand. Fast, controlled, efficient, and safe. I've got no problem with others drop starting, but I also realize the only reason they do this is because they haven't thought about the procedure and that certain ways of doing things become ingrained in folk's heads. One just has to think of the older loggers who used to pull off chain brakes cause "they don't need them and they're in the way."

I'm sure there's a Forest Gump saying that applies, but I'll leave it to you all to figure out which one.

Hahaha. When the "older loggers" were working they didn't have chain brakes.
It was us youngsters that yanked them off a brand new saw. I guess "older loggers" is a relative term.
As for the Forest Gump saying's, I like "And that's all I've got to say about that".:laugh:

Andy

Drop starting my saw when working in my hooks is the easiest way I know. It's even easier when I'm on the ground.

I always drop start mine, except my 088 when cold...

BUT... I never show customer or newbies how to do it. It is dangerous in the hands of the uncoordinated... have a newbie drop start an 025 and it will wrap up around his neck in a heartbeat.

Between the legs is the easiest to teach.

Last edited:
This may sound ridiculous, but I am serious.

Several people have referred to starting a saw "between their legs", "between their knees", or "between their thighs".

ARE YOU NUTS? ! That sounds way more dangerous than drop starting it. What safety can be gained by putting the bar closer to your legs, especially since you will be squeezing your legs toward the potentially damaging action?

Quite frankly, I am sure that it works for many folks, but I have never seen it done, and it sounds like a good way to lose whatever nuts you have. Perhaps someone can explain it to me v e r y c a r e f u l l y, and I promise I will give it a try. Be sure to specify what size saw you think is best for this, because it sounds like a bad idea with any size of saw.

Trust me, I'll have a saw to match whichever size you recommend, and I will post my experience with this new starting method.

Several people have referred to starting a saw "between their legs", "between their knees", or "between their thighs".

ARE YOU NUTS? ! That sounds way more dangerous than drop starting it. What safety can be gained by putting the bar closer to your legs, especially since you will be squeezing your legs toward the potentially damaging action?

Quite frankly, I am sure that it works for many folks, but I have never seen it done, and it sounds like a good way to lose whatever nuts you have. Perhaps someone can explain it to me v e r y c a r e f u l l y, and I promise I will give it a try. Be sure to specify what size saw you think is best for this, because it sounds like a bad idea with any size of saw.

Trust me, I'll have a saw to match whichever size you recommend, and I will post my experience with this new starting method.

If done as mentioned by Spacemule, the rear handle is locked behind the slightly bent right knee (to keep the saw away from the more sensitive areas) and the left knee is against the starter cover. The saw is actually pretty secure this way and does not rise up to the forbidden zone.

Perhaps someone can explain it to me v e r y c a r e f u l l y, and I promise I will give it a try. Be sure to specify what size saw you think is best for this, because it sounds like a bad idea with any size of saw.

[Edit: removed my own post as it looked too much like an actual dangerous instruction, rather than the parody intended]

Last edited:
I think it's important to realise the risks involved and stay within one's own well-informed comfort zone.

It's just as important not to do it wrong and slice off your b0llx 'cos your insurance will curl up and die and you'll get a Darwin award, which will make you feel really, really dumb. And you'll have no b0llx. I think this is worth pointing out.

Darwin: http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1996-07.html

Last edited:
Back