How to stop saw from binding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanAyo

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with a long reach (Silky 20 ft) pole saw and binding. How can I stop the saw blade from binding when cutting larger branches that are high in the tree? Under cutting is not possible at these heights.

Thanks in Advance,
Dan Ayo

If undercutting isn't possible you are cutting too high. 20' of saw doesn't necessarily mean you can cut 20' high, and just because your blade is long enough doesn't mean it was designed to cut large branches. It sounds like your expectations of what you can accomplish with that saw are unrealistic.

Mad Mark -
I hadn’t thought to rope the high branch off. But when thinking about that maybe I could cut the branch more towards my side of the branch (more up and down instead of more horizontal from the top). This way the uncut portion may act as a hinge. If the branch was pulled away from the cutter, it seems like the cut would be opened more.

Is my thinking correct? I am not cutting branches at this time to give that a try.

Thanks! I appreciate the replies of everyone.
Danny

Back