How to transport both firewood and a tractor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get a bigger trailer load the wood on the front put the tractor on the trailer w/ the front loader draped over the wood .if the tongue is to heavy add wood behind the tractor to counterbalance the tongue weight.a time or two loading it you should have a harmonius outcome.you dont wanna add to much on the back .u want the tongue a little heavy if u take to much off it it will want to weave badly

Tandem towing was mentioned, I don't know if you are comfortable with that, or if it is legal where you are, if it is, I'm JEALOUS:), if you have a truck adequate for the load, that would be my preferred option.

From what I have researched, out here in the Eleven Western States, Oregon(where I live) and Washington (next door) are the only two that DON't Allow Tandem towing. Oregon allows Triples commercially, which I am licensed for, but doesn't allow non-commercial tandem towing :dumb2:, Even with a Class A CDL with triples endorsement:mad:.

Having drivem in Idaho, Montana, Califorinicated, Utah and Arizona, I turn green with envy:envy:, watching them do it. The year we bought our boat, I had a hitch put on the back of the 24' Travel trailer we had at the time, had the 7 wire connection run to the back and put my 6x12 tandem axle utility trailer behind the travel trailer, and had the Wife tow the boat behind her Expedition. I would do that again in a heartbeat, if it was legal here, but since the CSA 2010 nonsense, I would catch all kinds of stinky at work if I got tagged doing it again, as even violations in the personal vehicle are points against the company as well:confused:. That set up ran so SWEEEET, going around corners, the tail swing of the travel trailer would push the nose of the utility trailer out, and it ould track almost exactly where the lead trailer went, took corners just like it was the travel trailer solo. With a little practice, even backing a "B Train" set up isn't too bad.

I would Love to be able to put our 17' boat, behind the 33' travel trailer we have now, it would save my Wife a LOT of driving. Those who CAN Tandem Tow, be Thankful,

Doug

I have spent many days and nights thinking about this problem. My dump truck and trailer can haul up to 30,000 lbs net and no more. If I want to push it and not go over scales maybe 5,000 lbs more, but in a pinch I could get tagged for for at least $5,000 fine. Most of the time if the volume is good I use a winch. The winch can be some what buried and hidden in some bushes so it does not have to be moved every time. It can be drug up onto a good size load and chained in place for the return ride. It weighs about 500 lbs with 600 feet of cable. It works very well when there is some snow and ice in place. My bobcat can fit nicely into the back of the dump truck, but then the truck can haul nothing. Right now I am working where there is a gnarly road that is about 12 miles long so there is no chance of hauling a tractor there other than the winch. I often spend a few weeks cutting then just haul when weather and schedule works. The winch can handle logs up to 8,000 lbs with out a snatch block. Drag some logs or rounds up a bank then roll them into the truck or run logs over the sides. Thanks

Personally, I'd probably haul the tractor up there load the trailer with logs, drive the trailer home, buck the logs to length on the trailer, maneuver them from the trailer onto the splitter until the trailer is empty, repeat.

I haul my Kubota around in the back of my Dump..it takes some guts to drive up the ramps into the box with the bed at a 45° angle though....When I pull up in people's driveways and they see the tractor in the bed the look on their face is priceless!
Depending on how secure my scroung site is I've left my tractor many places after hauling it over in my truck, sometimes it's a bit nerve wracking leaving one of your prize possessions in some lot or yard but I've never had a problem.

Ideally I'd haul my tractor on a trailer behind my dump and drag the whole mess back and forth to jobs in one trip but the weakass'd 6.2 diesel doesn't let that happen. I've dreamed of doing a 5.9 Cummins 5-speed swap but the it hasn't happened as of yet.

I posted a few pictures in the Commercial Tree Care section, of the trailers I have been considering for a similar situation.

Read here: https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stump-grinder-and-mini-in-1-trailer.317255/
Just looked at the other post. Those are some cool trailers. My last 6 years at UPS I shifted in the yard. We were a big facility with 168 bays on the building, and lots of room to practice. I used to build double sets for the over the road drives we had. A few of the drivers could back doubles up in a straight line. I knew one driver that could back a double on a bay door. If I had time I'd try to back up a set. It's hard. If you wind up on a street and have to turn around you have to drop the rear, go turn around with the front, drop it, go back and get the rear, pull up as close as you can behind the front, drop it, hook back up to the front and back up to the rear. With 5th wheel and pintels it's pretty easy. I'd hate to try it with ball hitches, Joe.

Just looked at the other post. Those are some cool trailers. My last 6 years at UPS I shifted in the yard. We were a big facility with 168 bays on the building, and lots of room to practice. I used to build double sets for the over the road drives we had. A few of the drivers could back doubles up in a straight line. I knew one driver that could back a double on a bay door. If I had time I'd try to back up a set. It's hard. If you wind up on a street and have to turn around you have to drop the rear, go turn around with the front, drop it, go back and get the rear, pull up as close as you can behind the front, drop it, hook back up to the front and back up to the rear. With 5th wheel and pintels it's pretty easy. I'd hate to try it with ball hitches, Joe.

Pintle and ball coupled should behave the same backing, what makes backing a standard "A Train" such a PITA, is the converter dolly. The dolly in effect makes it a 3 trailer combination, with the middle trailer maybe 5' wheelbase? Direct coupling between the trailers, whether it is 5th wheel, Pintle or ball makes all the difference, but the 5th wheel will give you greater range of angle maneuverability than Pintle or ball coupling .

I have backed standard "A Trains" in our yard, for a short distance in a straight line, it is manageable.

Do you know the trick to backing standard doubles?

Back up 4', pull up 8' ;)

I haven't pulled proper 5th wheel hitched "B Trains" just the travel trailer/utility trailer, but a friend/former coworker pulls "B Trains" regularly now, and swears that he can back a "B" in to any place that most drivers can put a 53", even around corners. I haven't had the chance to watch him yet, but knowing Mike, I don't doubt him, he would have practiced that, until it was True.

Doug

The most any one can haul in the USA is 80,000 LBS gross Canada has a few loopholes for hauling, but still restrictions. With dry Oak you can move 11 cords with dry Pine some times 15 cords. If you take a loader with you it will leave 2 cords less on your trailer at a sacrifice of about $500. If a smaller truck is used at a 50% less load and hauling then how can it be practical to haul wood at all? No matter what your load will be 50,000 lbs or less net. Moving a tractor around has become so expensive that using a pick might be the solution. Thanks

Tandem towing was mentioned, I don't know if you are comfortable with that, or if it is legal where you are, if it is, I'm JEALOUS:), if you have a truck adequate for the load, that would be my preferred option.

From what I have researched, out here in the Eleven Western States, Oregon(where I live) and Washington (next door) are the only two that DON't Allow Tandem towing. Oregon allows Triples commercially, which I am licensed for, but doesn't allow non-commercial tandem towing :dumb2:, Even with a Class A CDL with triples endorsement:mad:.

Having drivem in Idaho, Montana, Califorinicated, Utah and Arizona, I turn green with envy:envy:, watching them do it. The year we bought our boat, I had a hitch put on the back of the 24' Travel trailer we had at the time, had the 7 wire connection run to the back and put my 6x12 tandem axle utility trailer behind the travel trailer, and had the Wife tow the boat behind her Expedition. I would do that again in a heartbeat, if it was legal here, but since the CSA 2010 nonsense, I would catch all kinds of stinky at work if I got tagged doing it again, as even violations in the personal vehicle are points against the company as well:confused:. That set up ran so SWEEEET, going around corners, the tail swing of the travel trailer would push the nose of the utility trailer out, and it ould track almost exactly where the lead trailer went, took corners just like it was the travel trailer solo. With a little practice, even backing a "B Train" set up isn't too bad.

I would Love to be able to put our 17' boat, behind the 33' travel trailer we have now, it would save my Wife a LOT of driving. Those who CAN Tandem Tow, be Thankful,

Doug

How can tandem hauling achieve more hauling? Unless you are pulling a train in Australia? Thanks

The most any one can haul in the USA is 80,000 LBS gross Canada has a few loopholes for hauling, but still restrictions. With dry Oak you can move 11 cords with dry Pine some times 15 cords. If you take a loader with you it will leave 2 cords less on your trailer at a sacrifice of about $500. If a smaller truck is used at a 50% less load and hauling then how can it be practical to haul wood at all? No matter what your load will be 50,000 lbs or less net. Moving a tractor around has become so expensive that using a pick might be the solution. Thanks

80,000, is the standard, but depending on the vehicle, and state, you can License up to 105,500 without needing any oversize or special permits for each move. 105,500 is very common here in Oregon.
I would have to check with him, but a friend of mine drives for a Meat distributor, and with a standard 3 axle tractor (Steer and tandem drive) and a 3 axle trailer, I think he was legal for 86,000, in both Oregon and Idaho. 80,000 is kind of like a default setting, common but not the only option.

I have never run them, but I am sure the "Turnpike Doubles" twin 48, or maybe 53' back East are allowed well over 80,000. In Oregon, we allow Triple 28's but not Turnpike doubles. The Length, weight and combination regulations from side to side and top to bottom, are such a nightmare, that I am Glad that I drive for a dedicated customer, in a small radius anymore, and even though I am usually on 5 axles, I am rarely over 40,000 gross.

Doug

How can tandem hauling achieve more hauling? Unless you are pulling a train in Australia? Thanks

Non commercially, it gives greater flexibility and options, I can haul more, because I can't haul the boat and travel trailer at the same time without tandem towing. The old travel trailer was only 5,000#, and the boat 3,000#, or the Utility trailer, loaded with Kayaks, Canoes, Firewood Etc for camping also usually under 3,000# well within the towing capacity of my F350.

Also, my 6x12 tandem utility trailer is only rated at 7,000, I could tandem tow a second, with each loaded to 5,000 and still keep, truck and each trailer loaded within their limits. Maybe not be able to gross, or net more, than a single larger trailer, but it would add more options to what I am able to do. Heck there are times, that the 6x12 is all I would need for the day, But I loose a lot of trailer capacity for the splitter, we piggyback it into the 6x12 outbound, but either bring home less than a full load, or my Wife has to drive a second vehicle to bring the splitter home. We Heat primarily with wood, but are not on acreage, and prefer to split and bark our wood in the forest rather than having the mess in our driveway. It would be really Nice to be able to hitch the splitter behind the utility trailer, and only take one rig into the woods. It's Stupid, but putting a splitter that is less than 8'long, 4'wide and 450#'s behind my utility trailer would be a $240 Illegal combination ticket, and then to add to that BS, it would as I mentioned earlier be points against the company as well now, with CSA 2010 rules, That would REALL not Impress my Boss.

Commercially, Tandem towing (Doubles/Triples) allows for greater capacity of cargo's that Cube out, before they Scale out. When I was hauling a "Squeeze" trailer loaded with foam to Idaho, or Utah, I was grossing around 51,000 in a 53, and that was compressing the foam into the trailer, if I could Turnpike Double squeeze trailers, I could probably conservatively license for 90,000 and never worry about an overweight condition pulling maxed out twin 53's

Bob just texted me back, on 6 axles, Steer and tandem drive tractor, 3 axle trailer, he was Licensed for 90,000, but in Oregon, his tractor didn't have the wheelbase to bridge over 88,000 legally.

Doug

80,000, is the standard, but depending on the vehicle, and state, you can License up to 105,500 without needing any oversize or special permits for each move. 105,500 is very common here in Oregon.
I would have to check with him, but a friend of mine drives for a Meat distributor, and with a standard 3 axle tractor (Steer and tandem drive) and a 3 axle trailer, I think he was legal for 86,000, in both Oregon and Idaho. 80,000 is kind of like a default setting, common but not the only option.

I have never run them, but I am sure the "Turnpike Doubles" twin 48, or maybe 53' back East are allowed well over 80,000. In Oregon, we allow Triple 28's but not Turnpike doubles. The Length, weight and combination regulations from side to side and top to bottom, are such a nightmare, that I am Glad that I drive for a dedicated customer, in a small radius anymore, and even though I am usually on 5 axles, I am rarely over 40,000 gross.

Doug

That's what I was gonna say. I see a lot of trucks with 105,500 on the side.

Latest posts

Back