How weird is this? (pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
I was wandering around in a little patch of woods in an old pasture, maybe 100 yards from the house when I found something downright strange.

Pics show a white oak about 10" dbh sharing stump space with a triple cherry, stems on the cherry are about 18", 14", and a dead 16".

I've never seen anything like it. How uncommon is this?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pics are not the greatest, due to a ton of prickly ash underbrush and using the cell phone camera.

Cherries could be suckers off a long dead and gone stump, and the oak might have germinated in the fertile soil of the rotting stump also:) But thats just a guess??

I was wandering around in a little patch of woods in an old pasture, maybe 100 yards from the house when I found something downright strange.

Pics show a white oak about 10" dbh sharing stump space with a triple cherry, stems on the cherry are about 18", 14", and a dead 16".

I've never seen anything like it. How uncommon is this?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pics are not the greatest, due to a ton of prickly ash underbrush and using the cell phone camera.

3 redheads and ol whitey?

cut it down and make heat for next winter.....PROBLEM solved....that was easy....NEXT CALLER....:clap::clap::clap:

That cherry is good wood. Burns hot, dries fast, but its not all night materal, but that oak is.:cheers:

Oldtimer, your guess is probably spot on. TS may be very close too.

Indian burial ground? I haven't buried any indians there.

I love burning cherry, not as much as I like burning white oak, but it is part of my rotation, and if it's not straight and millable, it burns. I have a friend with a mill that will take all the cherry saw logs I can get him. White oak lumber is great for wagon beds as well, but this one is a bit small, maybe in another hundred years. One of the live cherry stems, the smaller one, is about half dead, and I might take it, but the big cherry and the oak seem to be coexisting and living well together. Live and let live there.

I have a couple dead red oaks to clean up in that little grove, but I'll wait till late summer/fall for them due to oak wilt concerns.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm is that Cherry I smell? Why are Cherry trees so hard to find? I have 3 around me 1 taken down last week. Nobody plants them!!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm is that Cherry I smell? Why are Cherry trees so hard to find? I have 3 around me 1 taken down last week. Nobody plants them!!

They're everywhere up here, birds do a great job of seeding. If they all grew as straight as the one in the pics, they probably wouldn't be worth much, but it's rare around here to find a cherry growing straight, tall and limb free. Most are low growing and low limbed. Still, they're great for firewood, or smoking wood.

Steve,

I have a Cherry and a Red Oak sharing space in the wood lot.
Neither one are gonna be worth anything but BTU's so I havn't favored either one. Normally I'll favor the slower growing Oaks, and snip the Cherrys if they aren't straight.

The battle for resources and all, sometimes resembles battleship diplomacy, and it looks like that Cherry is trying to play Germany, to the Oaks version of Stalingrad.My money is on the Oak;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I have over ten cherry trees in my back yard and thats with the 4 that have uprooted had to be cut down due to dying or snapped off at the midway point due to weather.. and I only have an acre of property now on the other side of creek which technically my mom own its full of cherry trees...big and small all sizes..

Pretty common really. Here is a mess that's in my back yard. Both main trees are about 16 inches in diameter. Starting from the left: Locust then Hackberry. Tree cut on the angle was a Hedgeapple. Flush cut stump was a locust as well. Looks like the hackberry going to win the battle as the locust is starting to thin out.

View attachment 137148

attachment.php

Over at the farm we had a tree growing in the crotch of another tree about 12 feet up in the air. Tree is about 4 inches in diameter growing on a 2 footer.

Latest posts

Back