Took advantage of the long weekend and cut some wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evanrude

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Lets start off by linking THIS THREAD.

Finally was able to get some cold weather, free time and the gumption to get out and cut this Ash down. It also helps that my Mom and Step-dad were out of town for the event. So I packed up the saws, hooked up the trailer to the Pickle ('78 F150 in 2-tone green), kid napped my father, and headed out. As the days are so short and the trip is about 15mi each way, it was a two day event. First day, I took along the 260, 660 and a pair of my trusty 440's.

Day one (Friday) we arrived at about 10:30 and started making a plan - the tree was roadside with a pole barn and power lines nearby. We ended up cutting off a large limb before felling because it would have made for the tree to roll upon landing (possibly endangering the pole barn). It was quite windy and this actually helped my fall (for once). So I started up the 660, cut the notch, ran a back cut, knocked in some wedges, and dropped it just 6" off center of the bar scabbard I placed in the yard for a felling target (yay me!). Then it was on to the 260 which did 4 tanks of work, and the probably the majority of duty on this tree. Then I started up a 440 to finish off some large limbs after trimming. After all that, we had the Pickle loaded down and trailer full for the trek home by 4:00. It turned out to be a big day, all we had left to cut was the main trunk and stump (see pic after "Arrived on day 2").

Day two was much more lax. Loaded up the same crew (minus the 260), showed up on site around 1pm and went in the house to get a pot of coffee going. Once we got our priorities straight, I started up the 660 and went to town on what was left of the trunk and stump. After lots of noodling, a little coffee, and a cigarette or two, we were done before we knew it. Don't worry, both 440's got in the mix too. All we had to do was load the wood, finish that pot of coffee and we were off. I think we were on the road by 3:00.

Day 1:

Just felled...
IMG-20121123-00162.jpg

IMG-20121123-00163.jpg

We're gettin there...
IMG-20121123-00164.jpg

IMG-20121123-00165.jpg

Arrived on day 2:
IMG-20121124-00167.jpg

...and done!
IMG-20121124-00168.jpg

All and all, it went very well. I pretty much did all the cutting myself. Dad helped by pulling brush and loading the truck - works for me as I'd much rather run saws! Of course, I do my fair share of handling the wood when it gets heavy. The neighbor cuts wood regularly and he even came over to comment on how 'professional' we were. The last pic shows how we left it. I have a Maple tree to drop next weekend at her house, then we'll probably rent a chipper to take care of the brush from both trees. I know the pics are scarce and not the greatest quality (cell phone). Hopefully on the Maple, I'll a real camera along to take pics.

Last edited:
Lots of good wood there. I love Ash. That's what is keeping me warm now. :rock:

Good job, and nice pics. Way to go on feeding those beasts.

Keep out of harms way.

It was a good stick of wood. Thats a Fiskars Super Splitter setting on the stump, and its a hair wider than the axe. And the 660 is wearing a 36" bar in the first two pics. So probably 30" or so at the cut. I sure do like cutting the bigger trees from time to time. The big rounds can add up pretty quick. I really do owe it to the AS members though, noodling sure did change the game in dealing with big, heavy rounds!

Ash is excellent firewood. Plenty of it around after the EAB killed it all off :angry:. Next to Cherry, its probably my second favorite wood to cut too.

Thanks for the comments on the stump shot! It wasn't perfect but pretty good none-the-less. The backcut was a little downhill on the off side :msp_sneaky:.

There's a few pics floating around here of the Pickle. But, I guess I'll throw one up for ya. Matter of fact, here's one with some Ash loaded for delivery.
IMG00007-20110123-1044.jpg

Thought I'd take a couple pics of the haul piled up. Just need to find a sucker to split it all :D.
IMG-20121125-00171.jpg

IMG-20121125-00170.jpg

Now that would work off that turkey dinner from a few day ago

Nice job :msp_biggrin:

Great score and a nice clean good job. Yep, looks "professional" especially your clean stump!

That Fiskars will eat up that ash, that's my fav splitting wood.

Back