How & Why Do You Use Wedges?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why wedges?

Hi ephoenix, I can see why roping is used when there is an obstacle like a house (our market is bout as crazy as Vancouver's) or a powerline.

Otherwise I look at it backwards compared to a residential guy since I learned in wildlands. So I see it as why waste the time to climb/throw/rig.?

For those of us used to it wedging is very fast and provides a good measure of whats up with the tree as the backcut progresses.

Perhaps the wedging they were doing with lots of pounding either meant a serious backlean, which would have taken a hell of a pull to overcome, or they did not knwo what they were doing. For trees with a heavy canopy, or over a foot or so or over say about 40 feet i just use a cut off sledge, goes easy if all the cuts are sized right AND the drivng rhytyhm MATCHES the trees natural movement!! Wedge is just a poor mans tree jack. Lots lighter and cheape, if a little less capable.

I keep two plastic wedges in a back pocket and one steel wedge in the front pocket for normal work in a residential setting with a clear landing. I just drive the plastics with the steel. Of course if there is a risk I use a throw line and tie off the top but its just insurance to keep the top from going backwards.

I saw an ekka vid where he pulled one over that was rotten, I can see why you all have to pull it sometimes. also fo ryou good climbers and throwers it probaly is fsster to just pull it.

But if you are doing big log felling and espoecially bucking around rocks on steep slopes with no equipment you pretty much going to have to wedge it to keep the tonnes of force from closing the kerf. It can get hairy during BUCKING trying to trip the last little bit of tab while staying out of harms way, the wedge makes it less likely that the bar will pich as she releases.

As for felling, like someone else said its just all wedged, no pulling. I might add that soem wedging skills are NEEDED to keep things on the lay, same for some special hinge skills.

Good question, good thread, dang now I want to go drop a big un!!

A good gust of wind can push a tree's weight opposite it's lean if it is leaning, too. So "lean" is not a reason to skip using them.

I'd like to see a video of these tree jacks I've read about. Never seen them used. But the specs sure show a lot of pushing power.

Thanks again for the time sharing your experiences using the wedges and how they can be an adantage on my job sites. Without a doubt I'll be getting some.

As I'm sure many of you experience, sometimes you think a piece will go over easily to find out it's not agreeing either because of a sudden little wind or perhaps an imbalance in the canopy one didn't figure right... and having the wedge experience would be a big plus.

Thanks,

ePhoenix
icon7.gif

Back