How would the Pro's handle this.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajjohnsons

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am new to the site and grateful it exists. I am clearing 1 of two building lots I own, to improve the views, rough in a driveway, and open up a potential building site. The trees I am felling are Pine/Spruce approx. 18-24", and 50-60' high. What would would you do with the logs. In my opinion there are some that would yield 16' lengths for sawing, but lots of the trees have defects, ie. twisted and bowed trunks,ect. Pulpwood? Who would you call?
Thanks in advance...

Lots of guys in New England have outdoor boilers and would be more than happy to take your green junk wood. You just have to find them. Good luck.

Thanks trignog,that may be a good use for these logs. Newfie are you suggesting I call in a Professional logger and waste his time, try to pick his brain for advice,or ask him to quote the job,knowing I intend to handle it myself? I'm self employed like most of the guys on this site. I can't stand people who do that. Isn't this what this forum is for?

Call up land clearing companies or saw mills. There are a few not that far from here in NY and CT. Ask around on these forums and somebody will most likely know of a sawmill that will want the logs.

ajjohnsons said:
Newfie are you suggesting I call in a Professional logger and waste his time, try to pick his brain for advice,or ask him to quote the job,knowing I intend to handle it myself? I'm self employed like most of the guys on this site. I can't stand people who do that. Isn't this what this forum is for?

I'm suggesting you call in a pro and have him do the job. Like you I can't stand people who waste my time but not as much as amateurs that call me after they get in over their heads to clean up a giant mess. Do you value a pros time that little that you think hiring one isn't worth the money? How much do feel YOUR time is actually worth? Probably not enough if you think you can save money by doing this yourself.

A reputable professional land clearing company will be able to cut the trees, market the timber and make the massive piles of brush disappear, quickly and effectively.

You should have a state forester in your area who can help you. they don't work for mills so they should be objective and be able to get the wood to it's highest value use. They might be able to give you some help in deciding which trees to thin too.

Your tax money is what pays the foresters salary, get some use out of it.

Tom Dunlap said:
Your tax money is what pays the foresters salary, get some use out of it.
Makes sense that this is the best place to start. You can't put back the good trees after you cut them down. It's fine for a landowner to do his own clearing, tho far less efficient than a pro.

But for an owner to do it without pro input on the plan, man I've seen some scary stuff happen. It's so easy to let the tool work you instead of vice versa.

Thanks Treeman, for your Post. Tom also, a local forester may help in other ways as well, Thanks Tom. Treeseer, this site has been a great place for advice so far, and I am grateful for your advice about good trees. I have spent a year and a half walking this property, in all seasons and time of day. I have also had the opinions of qualified friends,an engineer and an architecht as to potential house sites. I trust in the plans I have developed, I am going slow. Trignog made me think maybe a school could use these logs for fuel, I am not sure if Pine is such great firewood though. Newfie, I am just trying to find the best use for these logs. I am not asking how to clear this land for it's best potential. You seem to make a lot of assumptions that are not true in this case, but Thankyou for your opinion.

Also keep in mind that pruning can be a better solution than removal in many cases.

Let us know how your plan works out; post a picture if you can!

When it comes time to build, see the Avoiding...info sheet in the link below.

ajjohnsons said:
Newfie, I am just trying to find the best use for these logs. I am not asking how to clear this land for it's best potential. You seem to make a lot of assumptions that are not true in this case, but Thankyou for your opinion.

Well I assumed from your description that you really don't have any idea how to cut merchantable logs. Sawlogs come in lengths below 16'. I doubt the county extension forester is going to help you make bucking decisions once the trees are down. It also helps to know what the mill's grading requirements are to maximize the lumber and dollar yield from the logs. Sometimes it makes sense to cut 8's and 10's as opposed to 16's. Do you have the ability to move enough logs to a landing before they begin to degrade? Are your logs even going to be worth enough to cover the costs of trucking them? Lots and lots of variables that a pro would be able to handle effectively and efficiently. It just seems at some point in time you are going to end up wasting someone's time.

18-24 w/ twists and lean and bow sounds like whole tree chipper food and off to a cogeneration plant.

If you can sell them as SAW LOGs by all means do so, but check with the mill first! I live in NW Vermont and this area has been inhabited for so long that the local mills will refuse most saw logs from defined areas and towns.

Bottom line is that around here they are worried about hardware (bolts, nails,rocks, toys hooks, railroad spikes, building parts) being in the wood.

If the pulp market is doing well, we've been able to sell (tho way below market) to a pulp hauler. If the market is so-so we've had problems even having them come get it for free.

Depending on where you are you may be better off bringing in a monster chipper and selling the chips to a woodfired generating station. That is what we do with 80% of our wood.

With all that said, anytime I've come across a clearing job where the customer wants to recover costs from the wood/logs I have almost always found it best to either specify in the contract that THEY are responisible for that end of the work. We'd cut to spec, but they are responsible for getting thier money for it.

Otherwise, if they are not willing to do that I recommend they hire a logger as they will already have outlets for the wood.

You might also suggest that they bring in a portable sawyer to mill the lumber on site. Hardware is still an issue but blades are usually under $25 each (as opposed to thousands in a fixed mill). Portable sawyers can work deals for cash, part of the finished product or both.

Hope this helps!

Thanks again Newfie, I think the majority of this wood is "chipper food". Rfwoodvt/Rick ,thanks for your information it was helpful. I am going to call a local saywer, we'll see if there are enough good logs to interest him. The rest I would love to see used at a plant or go to some guy with an outdoor boiler like Trignog suggested. Thanks to all for the help!

Back