How would you approach this (bucking big oak on hill) ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got a co-worker/friend that has been talking to me about this large oak that came down in his yard a couple of 3 years back and his saw (028, I believe) is a bit too small to tackle the rest of the trunk. I've told him for months that I'd help him with it when the right timing came, and we have agreed that I'll help him buck it up with my 044 and he'll buy the 28" ES bar and skip chain...got those this afternoon. Trying to start on Monday; weather is supposed to be just right...

This seems pretty straightforward and we're not worried about the rounds hitting anything on the way down the hill if/when they roll, so that makes it a bit easier. This is the first time I've gone after something this big on a hill. As you can see from the pics, there is a split/branch/secondary trunk (attached) under one end of the log holding it in place. There's a large branch (not attached) that apparently speared into the ground pretty hard when the tree fell that is holding up the other side on the hill. We will probably trim that down a bit so I don't have it in the way of my bar when I'm trying to make cuts from above the main log.

What advice can you guys offer me with this? This is my plan from taking a look at it this AM.

I feel confident (not cocky) about this job w/ a 28". I measured about 39-40" at the stump and right side of the log and about 30" on the left side, excluding the branch/extra trunk growing out of it.

I plan to start cutting right to left (from uphill.) I should be able to lay up against/on top of the log and get a good 1st cut down into most of the downhill side (from above, NOT standing underneath it on downhill side...) before I get on the ground on the uphill side and make a 2nd cut, which should be an relatively easy one with the 28" bar. It might get a little tricky once I get down to the end of the left side, because that split/branch/extra trunk on the back side will make the cut considerably wider, but we also have the option to tie a chain/rope/strap to it and pull it up the yard a little at that point because it will be about twice as light with half the log cut off it. Too big right now for that.

Will have a handful of felling wedges to place in the top of the kerf to hopefully keep it from binding. Oiler is already turned up to the max on the 044, so hopefully that will be sufficient. I plan to T A K E M Y T I M E with this and there is no pressure to get it all done at once, which is nice.

Thanks in advance! :popcorn:

Think I would throw a chain on it and roll it up onto the flat of the yard. Shouldn't have a problem doing that if you can get a vehicle back there. Then put some 4x4's in front of it and roll log onto them. then cut away.

If you are concerned about the rounds rolling down the hill you could cut through the diameter coming in from the end 16"-18". That would give you two half circles with each cut of the main trunk. They would not roll and they would be a lot easier to handle.

Im with Excaliber. Anytime I can move a tree/log to a easier/safer spot I do it. Why work harder than you need to. Either way, good luck, I love working you get alot of heat for your efforts.

Good advice to try and move the log. We'll see how the ground is...supposed to rain tomorrow and will probably be a bit wet in the yard, but...

flashhole,

Are you meaning to cut halfway down, then rip it (cut sideways like a mill) to get halves?

my 2 cents

It would take a pretty stout pickup to roll that.
Might be possible to cut it in half, and then roll them up to the top. Just a thought.

Looks like fun. Enjoy.

Good advice to try and move the log. We'll see how the ground is...supposed to rain tomorrow and will probably be a bit wet in the yard, but...

flashhole,

Are you meaning to cut halfway down, then rip it (cut sideways like a mill) to get halves?

i think he means more like noodling. cutting like a mill would is rather dificult with normal saw chain. id do it that way myself. then you could have an excuse to involve another saw with a 18-20" bar. do the noodle cut first then the cross cut

It would take a pretty stout pickup to roll that.
Might be possible to cut it in half, and then roll them up to the top. Just a thought.

Looks like fun. Enjoy.

My four wheeler would roll that log no problem? Anything larger than a matchbox truck should be able to move that thing, no prob? Not sure a riding mower would do it, but maybe.

flashhole,

Does this make any sense?

Picture1-1_zpsfcf27deb.png

I'm with the 'bring the log up to level ground' gang. Obviously it'll depend on what you have at your disposal, but maybe wrap a long chain or nylon strap around it in a spiral (about at the center) and pull it up with a pickup? Anyone got a winch? It just looks dangerous on that hill.... its heavy. Do some thinking and get it up where its level. Or, I suppose you can roll it downhill and drive to the next town and cut it up.

Does this make any sense?

Picture1-1_zpsfcf27deb.png

Got it....don't know why I didn't think of that instead of ripping. Thanks

I've got a '97 F150 4x4 5spd w/ a 4.6 V8. I suppose we can try that in 4wd LO and see if we get it anywhere. Wrapping chain around the middle of the log is the best bet?

Yup, drag it up. Whats at the bottom of the hill? Could you cut by the stump, let 80% of log roll to bottom, and then cut. Or would you then have to bring the rounds back up.

It's a pretty stout 12 ft length of log and I'd have to pull it uphill from a standstill...

...i know, maybe I'll just go get my self-propelled push mower and hook a chain to it. That should be plenty, right? :hmm3grin2orange:

Keep thinking you'll get better ideas every time.
I would chain it up to the truck and cut it in thirds and then drag it up the hill. Or half. Each chunk by itself and then cut it on the flat ground!
As long as it is chained to the truck it won't roll away.

Yup, drag it up. Whats at the bottom of the hill? Could you cut by the stump, let 80% of log roll to bottom, and then cut. Or would you then have to bring the rounds back up.

Hah...the bottom of the hill! Well, here in these mountains, the bottom of the hill is usually a river! In all seriousness, his property is a hell of a lot closer to the top of the ridge than the bottom of the hill (mountain.) If 80% of that log got rolling down that incline it would either roll way off his property to who knows where, or get caught by a standing tree somewhere down the hill. Doesn't really flatten out around here too much.

Bushman's got a good idea with keeping it chained to the truck and cutting in smaller sections...also like the idea of noodling as we go. He wants 12-13" long rounds because his stove is apparently very shallow (15" I think) so noodling won't be too bad. That'll also give us both something to do, instead of him just standing around watching....er wait, maybe I could get him to operate the camera. ;) I never have another set of hands when using the saw to take pics of fun stuff.

Is there any way to guestimate 'round abouts how much this log weighs? White oak, dead and down for about 3 years, 12ft long by about 40" wide.

I've got a '97 F150 4x4 5spd w/ a 4.6 V8. I suppose we can try that in 4wd LO and see if we get it anywhere. Wrapping chain around the middle of the log is the best bet?

What I meant was, wrap in a spiral so that as you pull the truck ahead, as the strap unwinds it rolls the log up the hill. Doubt that the log will move just pulling it as dead weight.

Last edited:
Make gravity your friend wherever possible.

Is the firewood needed or could it be worth someone having a go at the log with a CS mill or?
If firewood, there's a stack already on the hill below the log. Can you use the slope to your advantage by cutting rounds, rolling down onto splitter next to the stack?

All I'm saying is that gravity doesn't always have to be thy enemy if you put some thought into it or have the right gear or scenario, or have or are willing to learn the right skills to work with it rather than against it.

ignore all the bs, if you dont feel safe walk away.bottom line is its just firewood and sometimes its just not worth the risk.

Latest posts

Back