How would you deal with these beast rounds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailmaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
IMG_1369-1.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

Arborists left me Shreve oak rounds of a size I haven't dealt with before. I have a mini ex and a trackloader that I could probably use to get these rounds to the splitter but I'm wondering if it might be better to noodle them. I've noodled smaller rounds straight down the middle but there must be some other techniques for big rounds. I have one saw, an ms 280, probably not ideal for noodling big rounds. Looking for some input, thanks.

I just back my splitter up to them adn then get my six foot pry bar and slap them on the splitter and round they go.
even done bigger than that no problem.

The sole reason for me buying a big saw was to deal with this type of situation.

Realized my limitations and not wanting to make things hard for myself anymore the bigger saw was the answer for me........now , no matter what good find comes up the ability is there for me to chop it up where I can handle the sizes and load /unload them in the truck without much strain on my ..... whole body.

For those with interest the dolmar 7900 was my choice , usually it wears a 24" bar and have a 32" also , this saw just "gets it" when it comes time to chop on the big or nasty stuff......usually black locust and red oaks are what I deal with and now it all comes home without a fuss.

Just with the equipment in the photo I fail to see any real challenge. Unless that is some really tough splitting wood as short as it's cut an 8lb maul should walk right through it. Have you tried those orange handled mauls on it yet?

Thanks for all the suggestions and links to those tools. I had some success with the noodle-wedge-prybar combo. Not much luck with the wedge and sledge approach. Someone suggested backing the splitter to the round and using a prybar to manuever it around. Sounds like a good idea if my ground isn't too soft, I'll try that tomorrow. As for the length, they are both about 14 inches which is perfect to N/S load my freedom bay. These big rounds are a pain in the butt and the sensible thing would be to use the loader to dump them in the woods. My extreme wood greed prevents me from doing that, I have to have that wood!

Powder wedges work really well. I used one last week on several 36 inch white oak rounds and it blew all of them into thirds except one it blem in half. Here's a video of one in action:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UngMpN35SX4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UngMpN35SX4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Back