Howo easy to roll a 352

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevieb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well today I rolled my first stump grinder. SC352 all 750 kgs of it. A slow roll into the spoil. Had it's dual wheels on. Took 8 guys to put it back on it's feet. Lucky no damage. Really rocked my confidence. Did not seem like I was on a major angle. However I have always noticed just how top heavy the 352 was to the 252. I have a gauge to let me know the incline going up or down hill but now gauge to give me acceptable angles. Has any one else had this problem. Do you know what sort of angle this machine can work at?

sounds familiar. I rolled a sc252 a couple months ago. odd thing is, I had went across much steeper parts of the bank that day. Oh well, smoked bad, but no damage. (its a rental)
-Ralph

Tip:

take your cutter wheel and swing it to the opposite side of the lean down nearly to the ground. this will help balance the machine on slopes.

i have had it on scary banks....properly steep and scared my man boobs off.....the weight of the cutter can make all the difference to balance it as per prev log........i keep a turfer (!) winch just in case.....you ok now stevie?? i have worried when grinding on steep slopes that the controls are only on one side..which cannot be helped but is a worry when you are on the downhill side.

You would consider this a safety issue. Why has vermeer put a bubble gauge on the machine for inclines etc... but the real danger to the operator and possible public is the damn thing toppling over. There is no information on the kind of working parameters at all. Perhaps I'm being over sensitive but can't help thinking that it may of been a lot worse then just a machine on its side.

stevieb said:
You would consider this a safety issue. Why has vermeer put a bubble gauge on the machine for inclines etc... but the real danger to the operator and possible public is the damn thing toppling over. There is no information on the kind of working parameters at all. Perhaps I'm being over sensitive but can't help thinking that it may of been a lot worse then just a machine on its side.

I have had a few hairy momments with my 352,I rolled my 252 3 times..

As for your above post ,good points,glad you and your machine are ok

the 'incline' bubble gauge is for your engine working on the level and oil feed to it....nothing to do with slopes....like anything...you just have to use your jugement on slopes....but that must have been a hell of a slope to roll it......i have been on 40 odd degrees and apart from new undergarments required no problems..

Never gave it a thought the bubble was for the oil change. Just could not understand why it was there. That clears that up. I really was not on much of an incline. Normaly you get a gut feeling when your on the edge. Combination of the spoil shifting and prob the cutting wheel arm in the right place. Or wrong place. Not sure if there is an automatic cut out or it just flooded but it cut out more or less straight away.

Latest posts

Back